Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Reintegration: Repentant Boko-Haram terrorists engage in community service in Maiduguri
  • National News

Reintegration: Repentant Boko-Haram terrorists engage in community service in Maiduguri

Admin August 13, 2022
bitrus

Borno Stste

August 13, 2022

Some repentant Boko-Haram members were on Saturday engaged in sanitation of Maiduguri as part of measures preparing them for reintegration.

The exercise was organised by the Centre for Democracy Development (CDD), in collaboration with the Borno State Government.

Speaking on the exercise, Prof. Mala Mustafa, a Senior Research Fellow with CDD, said the development was to prepare them for community services as part of the reintegration process.

“The rational behind this exercise is for CDD to support the Borno State Government as part of preparatory work for the reintegration of the ex-combatants.

“We felt it’s imperative to change the narrative, particularly the negative perception about them among community members.

“We want to rebuild relationship and trust between those that surrendered and community members,” Mustafa said.

He explained that 400 of the repentant insurgents had been mobilised for the exercise with 50 of them participating this Saturday for a start in Maiduguri Hajj Camp that is housing over 12,000 of the repentant terrorists and their families.

Mustafa said the exercise by the repentant terrorists would be gradually extended to some selected communities in Maiduguri and its environment.

According to him, they have been provided some training, particularly on civic education on how to deal with the challenges of stereotyping, while some Islamic clerics handled them on extremism.

Also, the Special Adviser to Governor Babagana Zulum on Security,  Gen. Abdullahi Ishaq, lauded the Initiative by CDD which he said had been supporting the reintegration process.

“CDD provided the equipment for this exercise and has been providing us with technical advice as good partners,” Ishaq said.

He noted that the “Sulhu Alheri” initiative taken by government after years of the insurgency, had led to unprecedented number of insurgents surrendering which led to improved peace in affected areas of Borno.

“Today, Maiduguri is more peaceful than Abuja. We want to continue to call on communities to support this sulhu (peace) process by accepting them,” Ishaq said.

He called for more support to Borno government from well meaning Nigerians and organisations in facilitating the process which required funding and other support.

Some of them were wearing T-shirts bearing inscriptions like “Please forgive us! We have repented” and “Let’s rebuild Borno again”, who spoke to NAN, called on the public for forgiveness and acceptance for more peace and progress of the state.

Over 70,000 insurgents and members of their families have surrendered to the authorities as at July 29.

They comprised 14,609 combatants,  20,955 women, and 35,029 children. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Babagana Zulum Boko Haram CDD Gen. Abdullahi Ishaq Prof. Mala Mustafa

Post navigation

Previous We’ve not appointed Charles Okadigbo as spokesperson – LP
Next Osun festival: Gani Adams asks govt. to protect Osun river from activities of artisanal miners

Related Stories

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.