Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Lagos Govt. commiserates with Chimamanda Adichie, orders probe into son’s death
  • National News

Lagos Govt. commiserates with Chimamanda Adichie, orders probe into son’s death

Admin January 10, 2026
Facility

Jan. 10, 2026

The Lagos State Government has condoled with  renowned Nigerian author, Ms Chimamanda Adichie and her family, over the death of her son, Nkanu, on Jan. 6.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Health, Dr Kemi Ogunyemi, in a statement on Saturday, described the death of Nkanu as a painful and irreparable loss.

Ogunyemi said the attention of the government had been drawn to the deeply distressing report of Nkanu’s death following a medical incident at a private healthcare facility in Lagos.

“The death of a child is a profound tragedy, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this extremely difficult time.

“Lagos State Government extends its heartfelt condolences and assures the family of its concern and commitment to justice.”

She emphasised that the government placed the highest value on human life and maintains zero tolerance for medical negligence or unprofessional conduct in any health facility operating within the state.

In line with this commitment, Ogunyemi said Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has directed the Health Facility Monitoring and Accreditation Agency (HEFAMAA) to immediately commence a thorough, independent, and transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

According to her, the investigation is to unravel the immediate and remote causes of the death.

In line with this directive, Ogunyemi disclosed that HEFAMAA has commenced investigation and has visited the facility involved as part of the ongoing inquiry.

She noted that the Agency would conduct a comprehensive review of all allegations and reports relating to the incident.

“HEFAMAA, which is statutorily established to regulate, monitor, and accredit both public and private health facilities in Lagos State, also as part of its core mandate carryout routine investigation of all cases of alleged medical negligence and unethical practices.

“This statutory responsibility is exercised consistently to uphold patient safety, professional standards, and the quality of health service delivery across the State.

“The Agency will work in close collaboration with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) and other relevant regulatory bodies in the course of the investigation to ensure a holistic, credible, and professional review process.

“The investigation will examine the allegations raised, including compliance with established clinical protocols, professional conduct, patient safety standards, and the roles and responsibilities of all parties involved.”

Ogunyemi assured that findings of the investigation would be made public as soon as the process is concluded, in the interest of transparency and public accountability.

“The Lagos State Government assures the public that any individual or institution found culpable of negligence, professional misconduct, or regulatory violations will face the full wrath of the law, in accordance with existing legal and regulatory frameworks.”

Ogunyemi urged the public to remain calm and avoid speculation while the investigation is ongoing, stressing that due process is being followed to ensure fairness, justice, and credibility of outcomes.

She assured of the government’s commitment to safeguarding the health, safety, and rights of all residents and to continuously strengthening oversight of medical practice to prevent the recurrence of such tragic incidents.

An official family statement said that 21-month-old Nkanu, who the novelist had with her husband, Dr. Ivara Esege, died after a brief illness.

The statement issued by Omawumi Ogbe of GLG Communications, said, “The family is devastated by this profound loss, and we request that their privacy be respected during this incredibly difficult time.”

However, days after, sources close to the family had alleged medical negligence at a Lagos private hospital where Nkanu was taken for medical procedures ahead of a scheduled evacuation to the U.S. for further treatment as the cause of the boy’s death.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Kemi Ogunyemi Ms Chimamanda Adichie Omawumi Ogbe

Post navigation

Previous Mpox: Africa records over 61,000 cases as treatment research gains momentum
Next Police rescues 9 kidnap victims in first drone-led operation in Edo State

Related Stories

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres
  • Society

Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.