Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • DSS denies opening fire on supporters of Sowore
  • National News

DSS denies opening fire on supporters of Sowore

Admin November 14, 2019

Omoyele Sowore

Nigeria’s state security agency on Wednesday denied that its officers opened fire on campaigners calling for the release of the former presidential candidate and activist, Omoyele Sowore who remains in detention despite having been granted bail.

Sowore, who ran for president as a minor candidate in the February election in which former military ruler President Muhammadu Buhari secured a second term in office, was arrested in August for calling for a revolution.

In September Sowore pleaded not guilty to charges of treason, money laundering and harassing the president. He was granted bail on Oct. 4 but he has not been released because the Department for State Security (DSS) says the conditions have not been met.

Supporters of Sowore, who founded Nigerian online news organization Sahara Reporters, staged a protest at DSS headquarters in the capital, Abuja, on Wednesday during which they said the security agency’s officers opened fire on them.

But the claims were denied by the DSS.

“Despite serial and unwarranted provocations, the Service, as a professional and responsible Organisation, did not shoot at the so-called protesters,” the DSS said in a statement.

Sowore’s continued detention has prompted some to criticize Buhari over his administration’s record on human rights, particularly a lethal crackdown on followers of a Shi’ite leader who has been detained by the government since 2015 without a trial.

Nigerian campaign groups, including Concerned Nigerians Group and the Coalition in Defence of Nigerians Democracy and Constitution, issued a statement in which they said “violent attacks” on protesters at DSS headquarters show that Buhari “is running a dictatorship again”.

Buhari was Nigeria’s head of state between December 1983 and August 1985, after taking power in a military coup. He was also replaced by the military.

Sowore was granted bail so long as a number of conditions were met including the provision of 100 million naira ($277,777) with two sureties.

The DSS, in its statement, said it reiterated its “avowed readiness to release Sowore” once the people who provided surety for him had presented themselves.

Femi Falana, a lawyer representing Sowore, on Wednesday called on the DSS to release his client from “illegal custody”.

He accused the DSS of “aggravating the felony of contempt of court by asking sureties who had been verified by the trial court to report in its office for an illegal verification”.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: DSS Femi Falana Muhammadu Buhari Omoyele Sowore

Post navigation

Previous AfDB Group becomes a shareholder in AFC with $50m in equity
Next Three feared killed as unknown gunmen attack PDP rally in Bayelsa

Related Stories

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking children
  • National News

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking

August 19, 2026
Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation governor mai mala buni
  • National News

Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation

August 19, 2026
FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking children
  • National News

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking

August 19, 2026
Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation governor mai mala buni
  • National News

Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation

August 19, 2026
FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.