Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Three feared killed as unknown gunmen attack PDP rally in Bayelsa
  • National News
  • Politics

Three feared killed as unknown gunmen attack PDP rally in Bayelsa

Admin November 14, 2019

Three people have been feared killed in the violence that rocked the Peoples Democratic Party rally at Okolomabiri in Nembe Local Government Area of Bayelsa State on Wednesday.

It was gathered that gunmen stormed the venue of the rally and began shooting sporadically.

The driver of an OB van attached to the Bayelsa State-owned radio station, Simon Onu, was one of those said to have been shot dead.

Earlier, some journalists and supporters of the PDP had made their way to Nembe Pasambre, where the APC deputy governorship candidate, Senator Degi Biobarakuma, hails from.

They were, however, denied entry into the community, after which they moved to Okolomabiri, a nearby community where they were greeted with violence that resulted in the deaths.

Recall that Senator Biobarakuma was disqualified from participating in the election holding on Saturday by a Federal High Court in Abuja.

The governorship candidate of the PDP, Senator Douye Diri said many of their members were yet to be accounted for and demanded justice for those affected.

He said the party had received information that a group had declared that Nembe was an APC area and the PDP would not be allowed to campaign there.

The Vice-Chairman of the PDP in the South-South called on the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the Army, and the Police to ensure that there is law an order.

While condoling with the families of those who lost their lives, the PDP chieftain said the party and its supporters will remain peaceful and would not take laws into their hands.

According to him, following the signing of a peace accord last week, the PDP and its supporters have worked to maintain the peace.

“When APC came here to do their rally, nobody interfered with what they were doing. In some states, they would have denied them access to the pavilion (used for the rally),” he said, wondering why PDP’s rally would be attacked.

One of those at the rally, Orutu Africa, accused APC supporters of throwing bottles at them initially.

“The next thing we saw was boys from Basambri crossed over with guns to Okolomabiri and the shooting began. They shot at sight,” he said.

Even the military could not help us at the time because the number of boys that came with their sophisticated guns was many. So, what we experienced was a near-death experience.”

He said so many people were injured and he was fortunate to escape through a nearby forest before getting a vehicle to get him to safety.

Meanwhile, Governor Seriake Dickson has visited some of those injured in the attack in the hospitals where they are receiving treatment.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: APC Degi Biobarakuma Douye Diri PDP Simon Onu

Post navigation

Previous DSS denies opening fire on supporters of Sowore
Next Senate calls on NCS to revisit suspension order placed on supply of Petroleum products to border towns

Related Stories

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language
  • National News

Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy
  • Business & Economy

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy

August 20, 2026
About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 
  • Business & Economy

About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.