Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Cooperation between Egypt, Nigeria eased evacuation of Nigerians from Sudan – Envoy
  • National News

Cooperation between Egypt, Nigeria eased evacuation of Nigerians from Sudan – Envoy

Admin May 4, 2023
Nigerian Air Force (NAF) at Aswan Airport, Egypt awaiting Nigerian evacuees from Sudan. Credit: Twitter/@nidcom_gov

Nigerian Air Force (NAF) at Aswan Airport, Egypt awaiting Nigerian evacuees from Sudan. Credit: Twitter/@nidcom_gov

May 4, 2023

Cooperation between Egyptian and Nigerian authorities was instrumental to the ease with which Nigerians stranded in war-torn Sudan were evacuated to Nigeria.

Speaking with NAN on Wednesday on the sidelines of the arrival in Abuja from Sudan, of the first batch of stranded Nigerians, the Egyptian Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Ihab Awab, said the existing relations between the two countries helped to quicken the resolution of the challenges that emerged during the evacuation process.

“In spite of the initial confusion and absorption capacity issues at the border with Sudan due to a large number of evacuees, made up of Egyptians, and other foreign nationals alike, we managed to arrive at the reported arrangement and the process started.

“I believe everyone involved on both sides contributed to resolving the situation to the best of their abilities given the very difficult circumstances.

“We have been working closely and tirelessly with our authorities, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the Nigerian Embassy in Cairo ahead of the arrival of our sisters and brothers – the evacuees,’’ he told NAN.

Media reports had indicated that the situation surrounding evacuation efforts became positive on Sunday after moves by the two countries’ security and diplomatic agencies led to a quick resolution of some of the hiccups encountered earlier in the process.

The first batch of 376 Nigerians trapped in war-torn Sudan arrived at the Pilgrims Terminal of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja at exactly 11:30 pm.

Speaking shortly after their arrival, Sadiya Umar-Farouq, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, announced the donation of a N100,000 stipend courtesy of Dangote Foundation, adding that MTN Foundation also donated recharge cards worth N25,000 and 25GB data to each of the returnees.

Also speaking, the Sudanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Mohammad Yusuf, said the situation in Sudan would soon be brought under control.

Yusuf expressed happiness that Nigeria was able to evacuate its citizens safely.

The envoy, who described Sudan as the second country to many Nigerians, said normalcy would be restored in the war-ravaged country soon.

Fighting broke out on April 15 between the Sudanese Armed Forces, led by General Abdel-Fattah al-Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group, led by Gen. Mohamed Dagalo.

The escalating conflict has so far claimed over 400 lives and left 3,500 persons injured. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Dangote Mohammad yusuf Mr. Ihab Awab RSF Sadiya Umar Farouq TN

Post navigation

Previous Nasarawa Govt to sack Judges without Law degree
Next Demand for Passports by Nigerians has skyrocketed in the past three years, 1.9m produced in 2022 – FG

Related Stories

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides
  • Politics

NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.