Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Breaking News
  • Xenophobia: Why we are postponing airlifting of Nigerians from South Africa – Air Peace
  • Breaking News

Xenophobia: Why we are postponing airlifting of Nigerians from South Africa – Air Peace

Admin September 6, 2019

Air Peace rewards victorious Anambra students with Free tickets

Air Peace has postponed its planned airlifting of Nigerians from South Africa as majority of those interested in the process have expired passports.

The airline with the support of the Federal Government had scheduled to begin evacuating Nigerians from South Africa on Sept. 6.

This was sequel to the ongoing xenophobic attacks against Nigerians and other foreign nationals living in that country.

Mr Allen Onyema, the Chairman of Air Peace, said in a statement in Lagos on Friday that the most of the potential returnees were yet to renew their documents.

Onyema said the airline had already placed its Boeing 777 aircraft on standby and was only awaiting the go-ahead from the government.

“The Air Peace flight to South Africa will take off from the Lagos Airport and also return to Lagos. As earlier stated, the take off could be Sept 9 or Sept 10.

“This is because the Nigerians in South Africa have to obtain travel certificates because many of them do not have travel documents and their passports have expired.

“Air Peace has placed its aircraft, Boeing 777 for the flight since Sept. 3, but the Nigerian High Commission needed time to register the Nigerians billed to travel. And, they are already doing that in Johannesburg and Pretoria.”

Onyema described the attacks against Nigerians and other Africans in South Africa as unfortunate, especially with the alleged tacit support being given to the perpetrators by the authorities.

He advised Nigerians without legal documents in South Africa to take advantage of the evacuation flight to return to the country.

The Federal Government has pulled out of World Economic Summit holding in Cape Town and also proposed recall of its Ambassador to South Africa, Ambassador Kabiru Bala.

The government had also issued travel advice to Nigerians intending to visit South Africa due to the xenophobic attacks.

The airline had promised to commence airlifting of Nigerians from the country on Friday, September 6.

Recall that the FG had announced date to begin evacuation of citizens from South Africa by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday, September 4, when it informed the general public that following the recent unfortunate xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals, including Nigerians in South Africa, the proprietor of Air Peace Airlines.

“The general public is hereby advised to inform their relatives in South Africa to take advantage of this laudable gesture. Interested Nigerians are therefore advised to liaise with the high commission of Nigeria in Pretoria and the consulate general of Nigeria in Johannesburg for further necessary arrangement,” the ministry had said.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Air Peace Allen Onyema Kabiru Bala

Post navigation

Previous Qualcomm to expand 5G chips into mid-priced phones next year
Next Beam searchlight on activities of fake agro-chemical dealers -AFAN tasks FG

Related Stories

Landmark $1B Underwriting Deal Paves Way for Record-Breaking Dangote Refinery IPO refinery
  • Breaking News
  • National News

Landmark $1B Underwriting Deal Paves Way for Record-Breaking Dangote Refinery IPO

August 18, 2026
BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes

August 16, 2026
BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke

August 6, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy
  • Business & Economy

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy

August 20, 2026
About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 
  • Business & Economy

About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.