Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Sports
  • VAR to be used at next World Cup – FIFA boss hints
  • Sports

VAR to be used at next World Cup – FIFA boss hints

Admin July 1, 2017

FIFA President Gianni Infantino signaled that he is in favour of introducing video assistant referees (VAR) at next year’s World Cup following its success at the Confederations Cup, although he conceded the system needs to be improved.

“Nothing is standing in the way of using VAR (at the World Cup), as far as I’m concerned,” Infantino told a news conference in the Russian city of St Petersburg on the eve of the Confederations Cup final.

“So far it has been successful. We are learning, we are improving, we are continuing the tests.”

VAR involves two video assistant referees watching the on-pitch action remotely and then drawing the match referee’s attention to officiating mistakes.

FIFA said the system corrected six game-changing decisions during the Confederations Cup.

“Without the VARs, we would have had a different tournament,” Infantino said. “And a tournament which would have been a little less fair.”

But Infantino, who said that the system had been tested so far in 74 matches, added that certain aspects needed to be refined.

“We need to work still on some of the details, on the communication and the speed of the decisions being taken,” he said.

The time needed to make decisions has been criticized. There has also been debate about which circumstances it should be used for as some close calls are decided without consulting the VARs.

The use of the system has caused controversy at times, such as during Germany’s 3-1 group stage win against Cameroon when referee Wilmar Roldan needed two reviews of an incident to send off the correct Cameroon player.

Chile were denied a legitimate-looking goal after video review in their 2-0 win against Cameroon on June 18, and it was again used at the end of the same match to overturn a linesman’s offside call and award Chile a goal.

Former World Cup final referee Pierluigi Collina, the chairman of FIFA’s referees committee, said on Saturday that the system was a “very positive tool” to help referees make the right calls and took pressure off them.

“We are in a sort of work in progress,” Collina told reporters. “We see the very positive result we had but we are aware that we can improve. This is normal.”

Soccer’s law-making body IFAB is expected to decide next March whether to allow video assistant referees to become part of the game on a permanent basis.

Chile face World Cup holders Germany in Sunday’s Confederations Cup final.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Soccer super stars grace Messi’s wedding; Guardiola, Maradona missing
Next Okupe dumps PDP, may join APC

Related Stories

NPFL–Murphy Ben International Deal: Meet The YouTube Powerhouse Behind The Partnership
  • Sports

NPFL–Murphy Ben International Deal: Meet The YouTube Powerhouse Behind The Partnership

August 15, 2026
Commonwealth Fencing Gold medal: Oborevwori congratulates Osubi star Esiovwa-Thompson
  • Sports

Commonwealth Fencing Gold medal: Oborevwori congratulates Osubi star Esiovwa-Thompson

August 14, 2026
FIFA falls apart over Infantino’s $20bn sell-off deal linked to Trump; adviser resigns
  • Sports

FIFA falls apart over Infantino’s $20bn sell-off deal linked to Trump; adviser resigns

August 1, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Teenager Arrested in Kebbi State for Abducting Newborn Baby to Deceive Husband Police
  • Crime and Justice

Teenager Arrested in Kebbi State for Abducting Newborn Baby to Deceive Husband

August 17, 2026
Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism
  • Commentaries

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism

August 17, 2026
West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns
  • Business & Economy

West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns

August 17, 2026
NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.