Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • SEC decries low enrollment of investors to e-dividend payment platform
  • National News

SEC decries low enrollment of investors to e-dividend payment platform

Admin November 13, 2017

November 13, 2017

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Monday decried low investors enrollment to the e-dividend payment platform in the last three months.

Mr Mounir Gwarzo, SEC Director-General, who said this at the third quarter post-Capital Market Committee (CMC) news conference, held in Lagos said only 46,176 investors enrolled during the period.

Gwarzo said that the commission had realised slow pace in terms of implementation of the e-dividend initiative urging investors to embrace the policy to reduce spate of unclaimed dividends in the market.

He said that the Dec. 31, 2017 deadline for issuance of dividend warrant remained irreversible.

Gwarzo said there was the need for Nigerians to key into the initiative for onward payment of dividends into their various accounts.

“In the last three or four months, there has not been appreciable increase in terms of number of enrolment, that is why we felt there is a need for us to have a conversation with the registrars and bankers.

“The registrars agreed to the discussion, we expect in the next two or three months to see a significant improvement in terms of enrolment.

“To leverage on that and to be able to optimise the support we have received, SEC has also been in the vanguard of public enlightenment,’’ Gwarzo said.

The director-general said that any Nigerian that failed to register before the deadline would pay the sum of N150 for registration.

Mr Samuel Oluyemi, the Head, Vertical Markets Group, Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS), said that a total of 50,819 e-dividend mandate registration in August and 59,204 in September were recorded.

Oluyemi said that the figure dropped to 37,153 in October against the targeted figure of 50, 000 registration monthly.

He stated that the drop in the e-dividend called for collaboration among key stakeholders with a view to driving SEC awareness campaign initiative.

“The free registration window is ending Dec. 31, 2017 and our expectation at NIBSS is to have 50,000 registration every month,’’ he said.

Oluyemi stated that NIBSS dedication to the initiative was irreversible, adding that, 136 stockbrokers had been connected to the portal as well as 16 registrars.

“What we have done with e-dividend portal is to ascribe each quoted companies to their registrars. When investors pick a form, the companies managed by those registrars are listed under them.

“The beauty of what we have put in place now is to ensure that stockbrokers begin to play a critical role in the e-dividend mandate registration of investors’’, he said.

Commenting on the market performance, Gwarzo said that the last quarter was good with the All-Share Index growing by 36.5 per cent in the last four months.

He attributed the growth to significant improvement in the market activities.

Gwarzo said that the FMDQ Securities Exchange recorded an increase of over two per cent during the period.

“The fixed income platform also has an increase of over two per cent and NASD has also been doing well.

“Generally, the market in the last quarter has done quite well and we expect the momentum to be maintained.

“The economy also has picked up, the GDP growth rate has risen by almost one per cent to 0.55 per cent, and inflation rate has come down based on the data from the Nigeria Bureau of Statistics (NBS)’’, he added.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Global airlines can’t remit $1.2bn from Nigeria, Algeria, 7 others
Next Europe, Africa ministers agree to help migrants held in Libya

Related Stories

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism
  • Commentaries

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism

August 17, 2026
West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns
  • Business & Economy

West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns

August 17, 2026
NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze
  • Politics

12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.