Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • NAPTIP begins documentation of sex offenders to curb sexual violence 
  • National News

NAPTIP begins documentation of sex offenders to curb sexual violence 

Admin November 25, 2019
irregular migration

NAPTIP

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) on Monday launched the sex offenders register to curb sexual violence in the country.

The register is a way of documenting names of sexual violence culprits after they have been prosecuted and
found guilty of the offence.

Hajiya Sadiya Umar-Farouq, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development,
said at the launch in Abuja that rape of women had been a great challenge in recent times.

She said that the crime was common in the Northern part of the country, adding that it had left several women
and teenagers vulnerable.

The minister, commended NAPTIP and other partners for putting up the register, said it would go a long way in exposing perpetrators of the crime.

She noted that “several cases of violence, including gender-based, are exhibited by people and are not being reported nor investigated.

“Women and adolescents are being violated on many occasions at different places due to their helpless state and in many cases, the culprits are people known to the victims.”

In her keynote address, Leymah Roberta Gbowee, a 2011 Nobel Peace Laureate from Liberia, said that the launch of the register would mark the end of impunity against women in Nigeria.

Roberta called for the translation of the register into Nigerian local languages to ensure that the purpose for which it was initiated was achieved.

Dr Bob Arnot, Portfolio Manager of Justice for European Union, called for strong support toward adhering to
the rules of the sexual offence register.

He added that the register would help in exposing perpetrators of sexual violence, most of whom were usually not brought to justice.

Ketil Kalson, Head of EU delegation to Nigeria, called for collaborative efforts to stem the tide, as  the challenges were  not exclusive to Nigeria alone.

Kalson said “we need to understand that this is a global phenomenon that requires collaborative effort of everyone.

“This is a great step because it will go a long way to help in curbing the menace, as no one would want his name to appear in the register.” (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Bob Arnot EU Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq Ketil Kalson Leymah Roberta Gbowee NAPTIP

Post navigation

Previous Oshiomhole pleads with APC govs to prioritise payment of new minimum wage, consequential adjustment
Next Consider how to create an efficient structure for the proposed Special Crimes Courts – Buhari urges Judiciary

Related Stories

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking children
  • National News

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking

August 19, 2026
Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation governor mai mala buni
  • National News

Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation

August 19, 2026
FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Understanding CBN’s mandates and policy thrusts, by Arize Nwobu
  • Business & Economy

Understanding CBN’s mandates and policy thrusts, by Arize Nwobu

August 20, 2026
Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum
  • Business & Economy

Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

August 20, 2026
Tension grips Osun as gunmen attack Gov Adeleke’s convoy, gunshots send locals scampering to safety
  • Crime and Justice

Tension grips Osun as gunmen attack Gov Adeleke’s convoy, gunshots send locals scampering to safety

August 20, 2026
FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking children
  • National News

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.