Skip to content
August 22, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • Madagascar plague appears to have spread to Seychelles: WHO
  • International News

Madagascar plague appears to have spread to Seychelles: WHO

Admin October 16, 2017

The World Health Organisation (WHO)

A probable case of plague in the Seychelles, imported from Madagascar, is believed to have sparked the Indian Ocean country’s first outbreak of the disease, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.

Plague, which is mainly spread by flea-carrying rats, is endemic in Madagascar. A large outbreak has killed 57 people since late August, according to the U.N. agency, the first time the disease has appeared in non-endemic urban areas, including in the capital Antananarivo.

Seychelles health authorities reported a probable case of pneumonic plague on Oct 10 in a 34-year-old man returning from a visit to Madagascar, the WHO said.

“The patient continues to be hospitalized in isolation until completion of the antibiotic treatment. He is currently asymptomatic and in stable condition,” the WHO said.

Nearly 70 percent of cases in Madagascar have been pneumonic plague, a form spread human-to-human that is more dangerous than bubonic plague and can trigger epidemics. The pneumonic form invades the lungs, and is treatable with antibiotics. If not treated, it is always fatal and can kill a person within 24 hours.

An initial diagnostic test on the Seychelles man had been “weakly positive” for pneumonic plague, but definitive laboratory results are expected from the Institute Pasteur in Paris, the WHO said.

Eight of his contacts “developed mild symptoms and have been isolated,” it said, adding that two other suspected cases, without any known link, had been isolated and were on treatment.

In all, 11 close contacts and one foreign national, who was not exposed to the probable case but recently arrived from Madagascar, are hospitalized as a precautionary measure but do not present signs of respiratory distress, the WHO said.

Nearly 1,000 people who were exposed to the man or his close circle were given a prophylactic course of antibiotics to prevent infection and spread, it said. They included children, teachers, passengers, flight crew and health workers.

Seychelles, which has 93,000 people, largely depends on tourism for government revenues.

“Air Seychelles flights to-from Madagascar were stopped from 8 October to reduce likelihood of further importation of cases from Madagascar,” the WHO said. However, the WHO did not recommend restrictions on travel or trade.

The Madagascar health ministry has implemented exit screening for passengers at Antananarivo airport to prevent international spread, it said.

“The risk of further spread in the Seychelles (should the case be confirmed) is considered as low and the overall regional and global risk levels as very low,” the WHO said. REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Nigeria now 41st in latest FIFA Ranking
Next Iran sanctions, Iraq conflict trigger crude oil rise

Related Stories

Oil rises as Trump threatens sanctions on Iran partners crude oil
  • International News

Oil rises as Trump threatens sanctions on Iran partners

August 21, 2026
Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Oil rises as Trump threatens sanctions on Iran partners crude oil
  • International News

Oil rises as Trump threatens sanctions on Iran partners

August 21, 2026
Navy discovers, deactivates suspected illegal crude oil infrastructure Naval rating arrested
  • Business & Economy

Navy discovers, deactivates suspected illegal crude oil infrastructure

August 21, 2026
Tinubu suspends 3 Perm Secs over fake agency
  • National News

Tinubu suspends 3 Perm Secs over fake agency

August 21, 2026
Kano LG procures drugs to contain suspected diphtheria outbreak Kano
  • Metro News

Kano LG procures drugs to contain suspected diphtheria outbreak

August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.