Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • LBSL gets approval to ply BRT corridor, announces about 46% fare hike 
  • National News

LBSL gets approval to ply BRT corridor, announces about 46% fare hike 

Admin July 21, 2020
LBSL

The Lagos Bus Services Limited (LBSL), operator of Marcopolo high-capacity buses, says it has secured approval of the state government for upward review of fares and right to ply Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) dedicated lane.

The Chief Executive Officer of LBSL, Mr Idowu Oguntona, made the announcement in a statement on Monday by Mr Afolabi Olawale, the Public Affairs Officer of the company.

Oguntona said that the approvals would take effect from Aug. 1.

He said that the firm had been given an approval by the state government for an average of 46 per cent increase in the transportation fare of LBSL.

The LBSL boss said: “The approval to use the BRT corridor by the governor is to further give the commuting public a better experience on Lagos roads.

“The increase in the number of passengers and fare become necessary in order to enable the company sustain its operations following the negative impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on public bus transportation”.

“The governor also approved LBSL’s request to increase the number of passengers per bus from 20 to 42 in strict observance of updated COVID-19 safety protocol as directed by the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in the operation of public transport, whilst ensuring all other measures are in place,” he said.

According to him, as part of reforms ongoing in the LBSL, the government has also granted approval for the operators of the buses to commute passengers to its full capacity without standing.

He said that this must be done with strict adherence to necessary safety protocols.

The managing director said that the COVID-19 guidelines, which restricted the firm to convey not more than 20 passengers per bus, had affected the running of the buses.

He said that the development led to 72 per cent drop in revenue of the company while running costs remained fairly the same.

Oguntona described the approval from the governor as a long-expected desire by the agency.

According to him, news of the approval came at such a crucial time when the commuters needed it most, thus making bus journey times predictable on corridors with bus dedicated lanes.

He said that the decision of the governor would further reposition the company for enhanced performance, assuring all the stakeholders of the company of an improved operational experience going forward.

Oguntona added that the fare increase would improve LBSL’s operational efficiency and place the company on the path of sustainability in the long term.

LBSL
The Chief Executive Officer of LBSL, Mr Idowu Oguntona

According to him, the permission granted by the governor now gives access to LBSL buses to use the dedicated BRT corridor from Berger through Ikorodu Road to Leventis, TBS, and Obalende and also from Oshodi through Ikorodu Road to Leventis, Inner- Marina, TBS and Obalende among several other routes.

He commended the gesture of Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu for listening to the yearnings of Lagosians when it mattered most by allowing LBSL to ply BRT lane.

Oguntona also appreciated the efforts of the Ministry of Transportation as well as the Lagos State Metropolitan Area Transport Authority ( LAMATA) for their relentless efforts in moving the company forward.

He assured Lagos residents that the company would continue to strive harder to bring public transportation in Lagos State to a reputable standard. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Afolabi Owolabi BRT Idowu Oguntona LBSL NCDC

Post navigation

Previous COVID-19: Wave of promising study results raises hope for vaccines
Next Drama as man commits suicide at TRACE premises in Ogun

Related Stories

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos Scammers
  • National News

Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.