Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • Iran permits women to attend public viewing centres for Wednesday’s World Cup match
  • International News

Iran permits women to attend public viewing centres for Wednesday’s World Cup match

Admin June 20, 2018

Iran permits women to attend public viewing centres for Wednesday’s World Cup match

June 20, 2018

Iran permits women to attend public viewing centres for Wednesday’s World Cup match

Iranian authorities have permitted women to access public viewing centres of the football World Cup after recent national and international protests against the long-standing ban.

“The permit is only valid for the public viewing of Wednesday’s World Cup match between Iran and Spain in Russia,’’ Iranian news agency ISNA reported.

Women were previously banned from attending the public viewings of Iran’s opening World Cup game.

In the Azadi and Takhti stadiums in Tehran, women will be permitted to watch the match live on a large screen from the family stands, making it the first time since the Islamic revolution in 1979 that women have been legally permitted to enter the Azadi Stadium.

“If all goes well, this could be a prelude to the general lifting of the women’s stadium ban,’’ reformist lawmaker Tayebeh Siavoshi told ISNA.

The public viewing ban against women has also been lifted in parks and other public facilities for the match against Spain.

In spite of the ban being in place for Iran’s first World Cup match against Morocco on Friday, many women took to the streets after the game to celebrate Iran’s 1-0 victory.

According to eyewitness reports, some took off their headscarves and danced with male fans into the early hours of the morning.

Women in Iran have been banned from entering stadiums for over 40 years, with ultra-conservative clerics arguing that women should not witness frenetic male fans and their pithy slogans.

The ruling, however, has even been countered by President Hassan Rouhani, who himself is a cleric.

“Women cannot be punished if men in the stadiums do vulgar things,’’ said Rouhani.

At the World Cup in Russia, Iranian fans and women activists have protested with placards in the stands against the stadium ban in Iran.

World football’s governing body FIFA has explicitly allowed the initiative.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Iran long-standing ban Wednesday’s World Cup match women to access public viewing centres

Post navigation

Previous OPEC, non-OPEC countries seek cooperation to stabilise crude oil price
Next Buhari signs 2018 Appropriation Bill into law, expresses concern over changes

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides
  • Politics

NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.