Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • INEC ready to conduct credible, fair poll in Anambra, says Official
  • National News

INEC ready to conduct credible, fair poll in Anambra, says Official

Admin November 8, 2017

INEC Ballot Box

November 8 2017

Ahead of the Nov. 18 polls in Anambra, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Wednesday restated its readiness to conduct a credible and fair election.

Mr Ibe U. Ibe, the Head, Elections and Party Monitoring, said this in Awka during the public presentation of research findings
on the situation analysis of security and public safety in the state.

The research findings was carried out and presented by an NGO, the Centre for Law Enforcement and Education (CLEEN) Foundation supported by Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA).

Ibe said the non-sensitive election materials had already been sent to the commission’s offices in the 21 local government areas, while sensitive materials would be distributed on the eve of the election.

He urged voters to ensure that they collect their Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) and come out en masse to vote for candidates of their choice.

The INEC official said serving corps members would constitute 90 per cent of the ad hoc workers who would be engaged for the election, adding that the remaining 10 per cent would be officials of some federal agencies.

“The commission is fully prepared to ensure a free, fair and credible election,” he said and urged stakeholders to abide by the provisions of the 2010 Electoral Act (as amended).

On his part, the State Police Commissioner, Mr Garba Umar, also promised adequate security for voters and other stakeholders during and after the election.

Umar, who was represented by ACP Maiyaki Baba, said the threat by Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to scuttle the poll should be discountenanced, adding that the police is fully in charge of the security situation.

He also allayed the fears of residents about the possibility of political violence before and during the forthcoming polls.

Earlier, the Lead Researcher for CLEEN Foundation, Mr Kelechi Iwuamadi, who presented the report, said the research was carried out by the group between Oct. 16 and Oct. 27.

According to him, the potential threat by IPOB of “no-election’’ campaign could pose a threat to the smooth conduct of the governorship election.

Iwuamadi also identified “hostile relationship” between the security operatives, particularly the military and members of IPOB as a possible threat.

The lead researcher said there was need for security operatives to fully realise that they were coming into the state for elections and not for Python Dance Operation II.

He also noted that porous borders and herdsmen activities were another threat to the polls.

In her remarks, Mrs Chigozirim Okoro, Project Lead/Assistant Programme Manager, CLEEN Foundation said the aim of the research was to promote public safety, security and justice.

“The research is to find out the possible effect of IPOB’s call for `no -election’ on the electorate as to whether it will cause apathy and violence.”

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous FG urges British investors to help commercialise Nigerian research findings
Next NNPC pledges support for indigenous participation in oil sector

Related Stories

Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.