Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • FG frowns at underaged children taking Common Entrance Examination 
  • National News

FG frowns at underaged children taking Common Entrance Examination 

Admin June 3, 2023
NECO result

NECO logo

June 3, 2023

…Says children may be required to present their birth certificates before registration

The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Mr David Adejo on Saturday in Abuja lamented the rate at which parents made their underaged children to sit for National Common Entrance Examination.

“Parents are killing these underaged children by allowing them to write the National Common Entrance Examination into Federal Government Colleges,’’ he said.

He confirmed that some underaged children were found to have sat for the 2023 examination; an act which he said was not good for their development.

Adejo said education was not about passing examination and advised that children should get to appropriate ages before writing the entrance examination.

He made the remarks while monitoring the 2023 examination alongside the Registrar of the examination body, the National Examination Council (NECO), Prof. Ibrahim Wushishi.

“We are getting to a stage where education is what you will use your knowledge to do for the society.

“When you make a small child to go through all these rigours, by the time he finishes secondary school, getting to the university becomes a problem.

“Parents should please let children get to the appropriate age before writing this examination and we are going to make sure NECO puts appropriate checks in place.

“We need to get the children to present their birth certificates before registration so that at our own end we are able to curb some of these excesses.

“To get to a secondary school, a child should minimally be 12 years old and a child of less than 11 years is unacceptable,’’ he stressed.

Adejo said oversubscription made two candidates to pair for question papers at the 2023 exercise and assured that such development would no longer be tolerated.

“I was informed that there was enough provision for every child that registered, but more people registered as late as 11.23 p.m., whereas 12 midnight was the deadline for registration.

“By that time all questions papers had been despatched.

“NECO made enough provision to have extras for every centre, but because there was oversubscription, arrangements made were inadequate.

“NECO will henceforth put strategies in place for oversubscription.

“One of the strategies is that registration will no longer end a day before the examination, but a week before the exercise,’’ he said.

Adejo noted that the campaign to increase girl child enrolment in school was yielding results as more than 38,000 girls sat for the 2023 examination out of the total 72,881 candidates registered for the exercise

In his remarks, Prof. Wushishi noted the increase in the number of candidates registered by states in the northern parts of the country, which he said was better than the previous years.

“Lagos State has the largest enrolment of candidates in 2023, while the least enrolment was from Kebbi.

“As part of proactive measures being considered, we are intensifying sensitisation and reiterating the importance of the examination.

“We are also ensuring we keep to deadline for registration to avoid the problem of upsurge.

“Primary and secondary school education are compulsory for every Nigerian child. As a country, our children must hold this certificate to be useful both within and outside the country,’’ Wushishi said. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: NCEE NECO Prof. Ibrahim Wushishi

Post navigation

Previous OPEC+ begins meetings which may lead to further output cuts
Next We’ll be fair, equitable to all Deltans – Oborevwori

Related Stories

Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation governor mai mala buni
  • National News

Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation

August 19, 2026
FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation governor mai mala buni
  • National News

Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation

August 19, 2026
FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund
  • National News

Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.