Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • EU Trade Commissioner Hogan pulls out of World Trade Organisation race
  • International News

EU Trade Commissioner Hogan pulls out of World Trade Organisation race

Admin June 29, 2020

EU Trade Commissioner Phil Hogan said Monday he will not seek to become head of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) because Europe’s in-tray is full and requires his undivided attention.

Hogan said in a statement the European Union faced a series of challenges, including recovery from the coronavirus crisis, trade disputes with the United States, relations with China and finalising a Brexit accord with London by an October deadline.

“This important EU Trade Agenda requires the full and careful involvement of the European Union and in particular, the Trade Commissioner,” he said.

“Accordingly, I have decided that I will not be putting my name forward for the position of Director-General of the World Trade Organization,” he said.

Hogan, 60, became a candidate earlier this month backed by the Irish government but a European source said the former EU agriculture commission had upset some member states during his 2014-19 tenure.

eu trade
EU

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At the same time, he had only taken up the trade commissioner post recently, raising eyebrows that he would be ready to leave Brussels so soon after his appointment to one of the bloc’s top jobs.

WTO head Roberto Azevedo announced he was stepping down earlier this month for family reasons, with the deadline for candidate submissions set for July 8.

Five candidates are in the running after Hogan’s withdrawal: Mexico’s former WTO deputy director-general Jesus Seade Kuri; former Nigerian finance minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala; former Egyptian diplomat Hamid Mamdou; former Moldovan foreign minister Tudor Ulianovschi and South Korea Trade Minister Yoo Myung-hee.

READ: IMF forecasts Sub-saharan Africas GDP expected to shrink by 32%

“This decision today will allow other potential candidates (including European nominees) to consider their candidacy before the close of nominations,” Hogan said in the statement.

“The EU will work constructively with the new Director-General of the WTO to achieve our mutual objectives,” he added.

AFP

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: eu trade European Union Trade trade commissioner world trade

Post navigation

Previous APC under pressure to split as internal cracks widen
Next Regina Daniels has a baby Boy, says I’m a happy mother

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD
  • National News

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD

August 18, 2026
Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores Kano
  • National News

Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

August 18, 2026
Statutory Revenue Jumps 17.8% as FAAC Distributes N3.007 Trillion to FG, States, LGs in July federal government
  • Business & Economy

Statutory Revenue Jumps 17.8% as FAAC Distributes N3.007 Trillion to FG, States, LGs in July

August 18, 2026
Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja
  • National News

Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.