Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • #ENDSARS panel report: Hold accountable anyone responsible for human rights abuses – Blinken tells FG
  • National News

#ENDSARS panel report: Hold accountable anyone responsible for human rights abuses – Blinken tells FG

Admin November 19, 2021

Nov 19, 2021

U.S. Secretary of State, Antony Blinken has urged the Federal Government, depending on the conclusions of the #ENDSARS report to “hold accountable any of those responsible for human rights abuses, and to do that again in full transparency.

Blinken during a joint news conference with Nigerian Foreign Minister Geoffrey Onyeama noted that U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration has repeatedly said advocating for human rights and working to improve democracies around the world is at the heart of its foreign policy, even though critics have said promoting human rights often takes a back seat to preserving national security priorities.

Blinken’s trip to Nigeria is coming days after a leaked report said the Nigerian army had fired live rounds at peaceful protesters at the Lekki toll gate in Lagos on October 20, 2020 and described the incident as a “massacre”.

The shootings ended weeks of nationwide protests against police brutality.

Earlier in a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, the U.S top diplomat discussed domestic and regional security, and West Africa’s democratic backsliding, including Abuja’s handling of anti-police brutality protests last year.

Buhari told Blinken that his administration would take a lead from state governments which commissioned the #ENDSARS report.

“Federal Government will allow the system to exhaust itself, and will, therefore, wait for pronouncements from state governments which set up panels to probe police brutality in the country, President Muhammadu Buhari told Blinken.

“So many state governments are involved, and have given different terms of reference to the probe panels,” the President added. “We at the Federal have to wait for the steps taken by the states, and we have to allow the system to work. We can’t impose ideas on them. Federal Government has to wait for the reaction of the states.”
  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Antony Blinken Geoffrey Onyeama Muhammadu Buhari

Post navigation

Previous Insecurity: All State governors are helpless, give us Sate police – Gov. Ishaku laments
Next FG to ramp up COVID-19 vaccine roll-out to reach 50% of targeted population – NPHCDA

Related Stories

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
LASG warns against illegal use of dealer number plates   prevention guild
  • National News

LASG warns against illegal use of dealer number plates  

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
NFF Sacks Falcons’ Coaching Staff After WAFCON Disaster & Missing Historic World Cup Spot
  • Sports

NFF Sacks Falcons’ Coaching Staff After WAFCON Disaster & Missing Historic World Cup Spot

August 17, 2026
Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.