Skip to content
August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • Ebola spreads in Congo after militants attack treatment camp – WHO
  • International News

Ebola spreads in Congo after militants attack treatment camp – WHO

Admin December 13, 2019
ebola

Medical workers wearing protective suits take part in a training prior to leave to countries affected by the Ebolas virus, in an empty factory warehouse in Amsterdam, on November 5, 2014 where medicals aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) created a mock clinic. The disease has killed nearly 5,000 people, almost all of them in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. AFP PHOTO/ANP/BAS CZERWINSKI-netherlands out- (Photo credit should read BAS CZERWINSKI/AFP/Getty Images)

Cases of the deadly Ebola virus have risen in the Democratic Republic of Congo where health care workers remain largely cut off from the disease’s hotspots since militants attacked their camp, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

Twenty-seven Ebola cases were confirmed in North Kivu and Ituri provinces in the week through Dec. 10, against an average of seven in the last three weeks, WHO said.

Ebola is highly contagious and spreads through bodily fluids.

Militia fighters in eastern Congo killed four people and wounded several in attacks on two Ebola response centers two weeks ago, in what responders described as a serious setback to efforts to contain the epidemic.

“Insecurity is one of the main challenges that we are facing because it prevents us (from reaching) the communities to protect them against Ebola,” Dr Michel Yao, WHO incident manager, told a Geneva briefing.

A helicopter is to be used as an air bridge to ferry epidemiologists and vaccinators to insecure areas and bring them back the same day, he said. More than 20 people from the stricken Biakato mine area were vaccinated on Thursday, he said.

“When we cannot access the community, we cannot perform surveillance activities including vaccination that has been one of the key innovations that help us really to stop the spread out of this country to others,” Yao said.

There have been 3,340 Ebola cases including 2,210 deaths in the world’s second largest epidemic that was declared in August 2018, WHO figures show.

An Ebola survivor fell ill with the disease for a second time in eastern Congo, the Congolese health authorities said on Sunday, saying it was not yet clear if it was a case of relapse or reinfection.

The man died in a village near Beni, Yao said.

WHO said that the majority of the 27 new cases were linked to a single chain of transmission, in which that man was a potential source of infection for 17 people.

It was the second time that Ebola virus had been documented in the man within six months, it said.

REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Michel Yao WHO

Post navigation

Previous 2m Nigerian teachers certified, registered to teach – TRCN Registrar
Next Turkish Airlines to know fate over suspension of operating licence – NCAA

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports greater efficiency
  • Business & Economy

12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports

August 20, 2026
Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns Microsoft
  • Business & Economy

Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.