Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • DPR begins investigation into Lagos gas plant fire incident
  • National News

DPR begins investigation into Lagos gas plant fire incident

Admin January 17, 2018

January 17, 2018

The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) says it has commenced an investigation into the fire incident that claimed two lives at a gas plant in Magodo area of Lagos.

Mr Mordecai Ladan, a Director in the Department, made this known during inspection of the gas plant, Second Coming Gas Plant in Magodo area of Lagos.

According to Ladan, all parties involved will be invited for interrogation to know the cause of the fire incident and what to do next.

He said that the investigation, which would commence immediately after the inspection, would last for three weeks.

The director said that after the inquest the department would determine the fate of the gas plant.

“Most times, gas plant fire incident used to be as a result of poor management attitude or lack of safety measures.

“The inquest will determine the cause of the incident and what next to do.

“The department always holds quarterly interactive forum with the association of cooking gas plants owners to warn them of fire incident, especially during harmattan period.

“The fire incident here was very devastating,” he said.

Ladan said that the premises of the Second Coming Gas Plant was licenced in 1996 when there was no structure in the area.

“There was no structure here when the plant was given licence for operation in 1996.

“We are saying this to let people know that the facility had been located here before the residents started building their houses.

“The whole place was bushy when they started operation, it wasn’t like this before,” he explained.

On the cause of the incident, Mr Ifenna Okeke, a Director in the gas plant, said that the incident was as a result of gas leakages from one of the company’s trucks.

“On Monday morning around 7.00a.m, we discovered a gas leakage from one of the company’s trucks.

“The operations manager immediately turned on all the company’s fire resistant mechanism and alerted the fire service of the leakage.

“The firemen came, put their firefighters motor at alert and started stopping motors plying the road because the gas leakage had circulated by that time.

“Suddenly, a Golf car driver who had been warned not to start his car started the engine and everywhere exploded.

“The two persons that were burnt due to the incident were unknown.

“Everybody was aware of the leakage; we shouted so that people could leave their premises, and none of our staff and customers were around.

“Maybe they were sleeping when they got burnt due to the explosion, but it is very unfortunate,” he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that on Jan.15, two persons were burnt to death and seven others suffered varying degrees of burns in an early morning explosion at a gas plant in Magodo, Lagos.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: DPR Fire Incident Lagos gas plant

Post navigation

Previous NITEL retirees laud FG over ongoing pension verification
Next NSE market capitalisation hits N16.080trn all-time high

Related Stories

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD
  • National News

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD

August 18, 2026
Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores Kano
  • National News

Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

August 18, 2026
Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja
  • National News

Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja

August 18, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD
  • National News

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD

August 18, 2026
Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores Kano
  • National News

Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

August 18, 2026
Statutory Revenue Jumps 17.8% as FAAC Distributes N3.007 Trillion to FG, States, LGs in July federal government
  • Business & Economy

Statutory Revenue Jumps 17.8% as FAAC Distributes N3.007 Trillion to FG, States, LGs in July

August 18, 2026
Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja
  • National News

Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.