Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Court adjourns until Jan. 27, 2020 for Metuh’s defence
  • National News

Court adjourns until Jan. 27, 2020 for Metuh’s defence

Admin November 20, 2019

Judicial symbol

An FCT High Court, Maitama, on Wednesday fixed Jan. 27, 2020 for Olisa Metuh, a former PDP spokesman, charged with criminal destruction of evidence to open his defence.

Metuh was arraigned alongside his company, Desita by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC ) in January 2015 on two-count charge bordering on alleged destruction of evidence.

The case slated for commencement of defence on Wednesday was further adjourned at the instance of the court.

The counsel on the matter were all present, the defendant, Metuh was also present but the court did not sit and date was agreed on by all the parties.

The judge, Justice Ishaq Bello, on Oct. 17 , in his ruling on the no- case- submission filed by Metuh , ordered him to enter defence .

He said a prima facie case was established against him by the prosecuting counsel, Mr Sylvanus Tahir.

Bello said that the “view of this court” after reviewing arguments by parties, “is that the application for a no-case -submission is lacking in merit. It is hereby dismissed.”

He thereby ordered Metuh to enter his defence and adjourned the trial until Nov 20 for the defendant to open his defence.

Metuh’s counsel, Dr Onyechi Ikpeazu, SAN, had on Oct. 10, 2017, told the court that they would enter a no-case submission at the close of the prosecution’s case.

Arguing in the no-case submission, Ikpeazu had told the court that the prosecution had not established any case to warrant the defendant to be called to enter his defence.

He said that the application was in pursuant to the provisions of Sections 302 and 357 of ACJA.

The counsel added that the defendant had a constitutional liberty and could not be prosecuted where he either refused to make a statement or withdraw any part of his writing in the course of making a statement.

Ikpeazu said that the defendant also had a right to cancel any part of his statement voluntarily.

He reminded the court that the charge by EFCC was that Metuh destroyed his statement and obstructed EFCC officials by willfully tearing his statement.

Ikpeazu argued that a piece of paper not signed did not qualify as a statement by the defendant, and urged the court to discharge and acquit the defendant.

However, the prosecuting counsel Mr Sylvanus Tahir, urged the court to establish whether or not a prima facie case had been made against the defendant

Tahir added that cancellation was different from tearing which was obstruction, and prayed the court to call upon the defendant to enter his defence. (NAN )

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: EFCC Olisah Metuh Sylvanus Tahir

Post navigation

Previous Senate Committee to work on Social Media Bill as it passes second reading
Next U.S. aviation regulator pledges rigorous certification for Boeing 777X jet

Related Stories

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism
  • Commentaries

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism

August 17, 2026
West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns
  • Business & Economy

West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns

August 17, 2026
NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze
  • Politics

12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.