Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Buhari’s treatment abroad not indication of a collapsed health sector – Minister
  • National News

Buhari’s treatment abroad not indication of a collapsed health sector – Minister

Admin August 19, 2021
Facebook and Twitter

Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed

Aug. 19, 2021

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed says, the seeking of medical care abroad by President Muhammadu Buhari is not an indication that the nation’s medical sector has collapsed.

The minister stated this in Washington DC during his engagements with international media organisations including the BBC Radio and Television, Bloomberg and Politico.

The minister is in the U.S. to meet with international media organisations and think tanks on the achievements of President Buhari’s administration and efforts made so far in tackling insurgency, banditry and all form of criminality.

Speaking with NAN after a separate interview with the three media organisations, the minister said the President had the right to choose his physician and “he is not the first head of state going abroad for treatment’’

“As Minister of Information and Culture today, if I have had a history of using a particular Doctor in my life and I have confidence in him, I don’t think the fact that I am now a minister will change that.

“Irrespective of the nationality of that Doctor, it is my personal decision to choose the Doctor to use

“Like I explained to them, he is not the only Head of State that has gone abroad for treatment.

“If Mr President has a personal physician for over 30 years, who understands his case and has been managing him, why will it be an issue of contention to seek medical attention from him.

“It will not be right to say that because of what people are going to say, he has to stay in Nigeria to seek treatment,’’ he said.

The minister berated those who were criticising the President’s action of seeking medical attention abroad stressing that it was an inconsequential attempt to de-market him.

He said despite the challenges, the nation’s health sector is not in comatose to warrant a vote of no confidence on the sector

Mohammed disclosed that despite of criticism of the sector, the World Health Organisation had rated Nigeria fourth in terms of national response to COVID-19.

He said the country attained the feat, notwithstanding the two pronged challenges of vaccines nationalism and hesitancy.

The minister explained that vaccine nationalism was the situation where countries like Nigeria were denied access to procure vaccines to administer to its teeming population.

“In countries where they have less population they have received tens of million of doses whereas in Nigeria we have received just about eight million.

“This is a far cry from the 70 per cent population that we need to vaccinate before we can achieve head immunity.

Mohammed said vaccine hesitancy fueled by fake news and disinformation was becoming very high in the country

He said people were misinformed that when they take the vaccine, it had magnetic effect while there was also the fake news that the vaccine was meant to depopulate certain part of the country.

The minister said while the steering committee on COVID-19 continued to strengthen its campaign, the states should strengthen their surveillance system

He enjoined traditional and religious leaders as well as the media to continue with advocacy on the efficacy and safety of the vaccine. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: La Mohammed Muhammadu Buhari

Post navigation

Previous LASG TRAINS 500 UNEMPLOYED YOUTHS ON SOFT SKILLS, JOB INTERVIEWS
Next Biden says Aug. 31 deadline in Afghanistan might be extended

Related Stories

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism
  • Commentaries

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism

August 17, 2026
West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns
  • Business & Economy

West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns

August 17, 2026
NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze
  • Politics

12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.