Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Army Discovers Illegal Oil Bunkering Site in Rivers, Arrests 13
  • National News

Army Discovers Illegal Oil Bunkering Site in Rivers, Arrests 13

Admin September 2, 2015

oil-bunkering-640x318The Nigerian Army has unearthed a site for massive illegal oil bunkering located one kilometre along the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

The Commander of the 2nd Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Port Harcourt, Brig-Gen. Stevenson Olabanji, told the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday in Port Harcourt that thousands of litres of illegally refined diesel were discovered at the site.

He said that army operatives were immediately deployed to the site at Makoba Beach, which is two kilometres away from the Rivers State Government House.

According to him, “About 16:40 hours on Monday, we got an information that some illegal bunkering activities were going on along Makoba Beach.

“On arrival, our personnel discovered illegal activities which involved bunkering of illegally refined petroleum products and lifting of diesel to local boats.

“At the site, we found more than 5,000 drums loaded with illegally refined diesel; four tanker trucks containing 132,000 litres of diesel combined, and a barge with 165,000 litres of stolen diesel.

“This discovery is unprecedented because since we started our operations 10 days ago, this is about the biggest that we have uncovered”.

Olabanji disclosed that additional 150 drums, loaded with about 3,150 litres of diesel, were also discovered in 21 Cotonou boats, stressing that 13 suspects were arrested at the scene of the illegal activity.

He said that the illegal bunkering dump had not yet been set ablaze, in line with the Joint Task Force mandate, because of its closeness to residential buildings and the NPA.

“Our mandate requires us to destroy the site in situ, but we cannot do this because it will degrade the environment and affect residents since it is situated in the heart of Port Harcourt.

“Our plan is to move them to a safe location for destruction.”

The commander said that preliminary investigation had already begun to unravel sponsors of the activity, adding that the 13 suspects would be handed over to the relevant authorities for further investigation and prosecution.

Olabanji, while urging oil thieves to desist from the sabotage of oil and gas installations, assured Nigerians that the JTF would not rest until it rids the state of illegal bunkering activities.

“Let it be known that the army will not and will never tolerate illegal bunkering in our area of responsibility,” he asserted.

Olabanji called on the public to provide the JTF with timely information which could lead to the arrest of oil thieves and pipeline vandals.

NAN

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Police Arrest Baby Traffickers, Arms Dealers in Abia
Next EFCC Returns 10, 540 Euros to Polish Victim of Love Scam

Related Stories

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides
  • Politics

NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.