Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Alleged killing: Witness tells court how armed squad shot directly at Ikoyi prison inmates, killing over 150
  • National News

Alleged killing: Witness tells court how armed squad shot directly at Ikoyi prison inmates, killing over 150

Admin October 4, 2022
FG vs ASUU

Judiciary symbol

October 4, 2022

…Says I want the perpetrators to be brought to book

A former prisoner at the Ikoyi Correctional Centre, Lagos State, Mr Christian Akara, on Tuesday said at a coroner’s inquest that an armed squad invaded the facility and shot directly at inmates.

Akara testified before the Lagos Island Coroner Division sitting at Court 4, Surulere Magistrates’ Court.

The inquest is to unravel the circumstances that led to the killing of some inmates at the Ikoyi Correctional Centre on Oct. 22, 2020.

Akara was responding to questions by Mrs Amanda Demechi-Asagha, an interested party in the inquest and counsel to a deseased inmate, Shola Raphael.

Demechi-Asagha is also the President of African Women Lawyers Association.

Akara said that he saw a number of armed men entering the facility and shooting directly at inmates.

He said while he was at the correctional centre he volunteered as a teacher under the Muharam Sisters, a non-governmental organisation, to teach some inmates English Language.

“On Oct. 22, 2020, I was teaching when I heard inmates shouting from their cells.

“I stepped out of the class where I was teaching and what I saw was an armed squad shooting directly at inmates.

“Out of fear, I rushed to my cell but noticed that it was not safe and immediately left for D5, another cell,” he said.

The ex-convict testified that after the shooting subsided, he and some inmates were transfered to D7 from D5.

“The yard master and his assistant, as they were usually referred to, directed us to leave the first cell to another one.

“During the transfer to D7, the armed squad made a threat about shooting the last person on the line.

“The threat was carried out when he aimed and shot at the last person at the centre of his head,” he said.

Questioning the witness further, Demechi-Asagba asked how many inmates he knew personally, and he mentioned, Promise Nnuigwu from Cell B2, Raphael Olushola, D8 and one Ifeanyi at D7.

Akara said that some inmates were ordered to carry dead bodies to the hospital in the correctional centre.

“I was one of those who carried dead bodies.

“There were more than 150 dead bodies.

“We observed starvation for two weeks after the invasion. There was no food, and we barely had enough water to drink,” he added.

When asked if there was any recording of the incident, the witness said that the only person that had the information was transferred to another prison.

Demechi-Asagba asked the witness if there was anything unusual before the incident and Akara said that the facility had been calm.

When asked why he decided to testify, the witness said he wanted those responsibile for the killings to be brought to book.

The Coroner, Chief Magistrate O.A. Komolafe, adjourned the case until Dec.19 for continuation of trial. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: A.O Komolafe Christian Akara Ifeanyi Mrs Amanda Demechi-Asagha Promise Nnuigwu Raphael Olushola

Post navigation

Previous PRESIDENT BUHARI SAYS CORRUPTION IN EDUCATION SECTOR UNDERMINING GOVT INVESTMENTS, URGES BETTER TRANSPARENCY
Next LASG ANNOUNCES UPWARD REVIEW OF WORKERS’ SALARY TO COME SOON

Related Stories

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language
  • National News

Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy
  • Business & Economy

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy

August 20, 2026
About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 
  • Business & Economy

About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.