Skip to content
August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Secession: Tagging agitators as terrorists is not the way to tackle the issue, but dialogue – Moghalu
  • National News

Secession: Tagging agitators as terrorists is not the way to tackle the issue, but dialogue – Moghalu

Admin June 2, 2021
fight

Prof. Kingsley Moghalu

June 2, 2021

A former presidential candidate, Kingsley Moghalu, has argued that tagging secessionist groups as terrorists was not the way to tackle the issue of agitations in he country.

He urged the Federal Government to dialogue with the groups as a way of addressing the root causes of their agitations will help in dousing tensions in the nation.

Moghalu made the call on Wednesday when he featured on Channels Television’s breakfast show, Sunrise Daily.

According to him, secessionist agitators feel marginalised and are seeking justice.

“I think that the government should be able to invite, whether it is IPOB or Sunday Igboho, all the secessionists; invite them to the table,” the former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor noted.

The Nigerian government had in 2017 proscribed the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), the group spearheading agitations for the creation of an independent Biafra nation but Moghalu has faulted the move, insisting instead, that the reasons for their actions should be looked into.

While he admitted that IPOB and other agitators may be addressing their challenges in a wrong way, he argued that tagging them as terrorists is not the way to tackle the issue.

“They are essentially political agitators. You can call them terrorists. That is your own prerogative but we know what terrorism means in reality. Boko Haram are terrorists. We know that,” the economist and lawyer added.

“When people begin political agitations and we very easily throw terrorism at them just because they are mouthing off and speaking in a language that nobody likes or insulting their fellow citizens. That is their way of handling this type of thing.

“Can we address the agitations? Don’t be afraid to address the core reasons behind the agitation because they are crying out for justice. They feel marginalised. What is wrong with addressing those issues?”

In the southwest, Sunday ‘Igboho’ Adeyemo who rose to prominence earlier in the year after he issued a quit notice to herders in Oyo State accused of crimes, is leading calls for the creation of a Yoruba nation, threatening to disrupt the 2023 polls.

IPOB had equally renewed campaigns for the independence of the southeast region following the election of President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, accusing the government of marginalising the area.

The leader of the group, Nnamdi Kanu, had fled the country one year after he faced trial for treason but the pro-Biafra organisation ordered a sit-at-home in the region on Monday to mark the end of the Nigerian Civil War.

Clashes between the secessionist groups and Nigeria’s security forces have also made headlines. Over the weekend, the Nigerian Army said it stormed a “terrorist enclave” run by members of the Eastern Security Network (ESN) – the security arm of IPOB – in Rivers State and killed at least seven persons.

“In the firefight that ensued during the Clearance/Raid Operation, 7 IPOB/ESN members were neutralized while 5 suspects arrested,” the army said in a statement signed by army spokesman, Brigadier-General Mohammed Yerima.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Brigadier-General Mohammed Yerima. ESN IPOB Kingsley Moghalu Muhammadu Buhari Sunday ‘Igboho’ Adeyemo

Post navigation

Previous COVID-19: 73,465 Nigerians including the president, Vice president have received 2nd dose – NPHCDA
Next Recession, violence among COVID-19 side effect in Africa – Report 

Related Stories

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister
  • National News

2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports greater efficiency
  • Business & Economy

12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports

August 20, 2026
Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns Microsoft
  • Business & Economy

Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.