Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • U.S. WHO exit jeopardizes Africa, says health body
  • National News

U.S. WHO exit jeopardizes Africa, says health body

Admin January 24, 2025
lives and livelihoods

January 24, 2025

The U.S. plan to withdraw from the World Health Organisation will squeeze Africa’s health initiatives, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said on Thursday, calling on African countries to find alternative sources of financing.

U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order on the WHO exit on Monday, shortly after his inauguration to a second term.

The concerns raised by Africa’s leading public health officials are a sign of the potential impact of the U.S. decision on the U.N. agency’s ability to fight diseases and respond to emergencies round the globe without its biggest funder.

Africa CDC senior official Ngashi Ngongo said many countries had been relying on U.S. investment via the WHO to fund public health drives.

“We know the role that the WHO has played on the continent… to really improve the delivery of health programmes,” Ngongo told a media briefing.

“The reduction or the cutting of (U.S.) funding is definitely going to affect the response.

“It is time for some of the African member states to rethink the financing of public health.”

Zimbabwe’s finance minister on Wednesday expressed concern that the U.S. withdrawal could signal cuts in health aid to countries such as his that are most affected by HIV/AIDS.

Ngongo said once Africa CDC takes stock of the situation, it might explore funding opportunities with other non-African countries to compensate for the expected fall in WHO support.

While Ngongo does not expect Trump’s order to have a big impact on Africa CDC, he expressed concern a joint action plan the health body had been developing with the U.S. government over the past year could also now be at risk.

REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: CDC donald Trump Ngashi Ngongo WHO

Post navigation

Previous Electricity supply in Nigeria is 419, Ajaero slams minister
Next Illegal Immigrants: US Arrests, Deports 538 days after Trump inauguration 

Related Stories

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
Navy again disrupts illegal crude oil refining sites in Rivers Naval rating arrested
  • National News

Navy again disrupts illegal crude oil refining sites in Rivers

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres
  • Society

Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
Navy again disrupts illegal crude oil refining sites in Rivers Naval rating arrested
  • National News

Navy again disrupts illegal crude oil refining sites in Rivers

August 16, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.