Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • Trump: Texas shooting ‘mental health problem at highest level’
  • International News

Trump: Texas shooting ‘mental health problem at highest level’

Admin November 6, 2017

November 6,2017

U.S. President Donald Trump has called a deadly shooting incident at a church in the state of Texas a “mental health problem at the highest level.”

“It’s a very sad event. These are great people,” he said at a news conference in Tokyo, apparently referring to the victims of the shooting.

“We have a lot of mental health problems as do other countries,” the president said.

He also mentioned a “very deranged individual with a lot of problems for a long period of time,” appearing to refer to the suspect.

Trump said his “thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the families in today’s horrible … attack” in Texas, which he called a “horrific shooting.”

During a crisis, “Americans will do what we do best: We pull together and join hands and lock arms and through the tears and sadness we stand strong,” Trump said at the residence of the U.S. ambassador to Japan.

He also urged Americans to pray for the wounded and the families of the victims.

The president said the shooting occurred at a “place of sacred worship.”

Gov. Greg Abbot said on Sunday that 26 people were killed after a gunman opened fire during a service at a Texas church.

Abbot said the attack at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, was the “largest mass shooting in the state’s history.”

Some 20 people had been transported to local hospitals with injuries ranging from minor to severe, authorities said.

The victims ranged in age from five to 72 years.

The gunman was seen at a gas station across from the church at 11:20 am (1720 GMT) dressed in black and wearing tactical gear before crossing the street and firing his weapon outside the church, said Freeman Martin of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

A local resident stopped the gunman, ending the carnage at the church, Martin said.

The resident grabbed his rifle and rushed to the First Baptist Church, where he “engaged” the gunman.

The suspect then dropped his gun and fled in his car.

He was pursued by the local resident and was later found dead by police in his car, Martin said. It was unclear whether the gunman had killed himself or if he was shot by the pursuing citizen.

Local media identified the suspected gunman as Devin Kelley, 26, of nearby New Braunfels, Texas.

In 2012, Kelley, a former Air Force service member who was licensed to be a security guard, was court-martialled and convicted of domestic violence, and he received a bad conduct discharge, the San Antonio Express-News reported, citing an Air Force spokeswoman.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous 11 Saudi princes accused of bribery, embezzlement, money laundering -official
Next Wale Ojetimi editing…Insurgency: Buratai lauds troops’ commitment, promises prompt payment of operational allowances

Related Stories

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
Oil rises as doubts over US-Iran deal heighten supply concerns reserves crude oil
  • International News

Oil rises as doubts over US-Iran deal heighten supply concerns

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres
  • Society

Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.