Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • How terrorists killed over 160 persons in Kwara communities in dusk attacks
  • National News

How terrorists killed over 160 persons in Kwara communities in dusk attacks

Admin February 4, 2026
Terrorists in Sambisa forest

Boko Haram terrorists

Terrorists in Sambisa forest
Boko Haram terrorists

Terrorists have killed over 160 people during attacks on two villages in Kwara state, North Central Nigeria, a lawmaker said Wednesday, in one of the deadliest assaults in recent months.

The attacks targeted the villages of Woro and Nuku in the state of Kwara on Tuesday evening, Mohammed Omar Bio, a member of parliament representing the area, told The Associated Press.

He said the attacks were carried out by the Lakurawa, an armed group affiliated with the Islamic State group. No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

A Red Cross official said earlier Wednesday that “scores of people were killed.” Ayodeji Emmanuel Babaomo, the Red Cross secretary in Kwara state, said the organization has been unable to reach the communities because they are in a remote area – about eight hours from the state capital and near Nigeria’s border with Benin.

The state’s governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, said in statement released Wednesday the attack was a “cowardly expression of frustration by terrorist cells” in response to ongoing military operations against armed extremists in the state.

Nigeria is in the grip of a complex security crisis, with an insurgency by Islamic militants in the northeast alongside a surge in kidnappings for ransom by gunmen across the northwest and north-central regions over recent months.

In a separate attack on Tuesday, gunmen killed at least 13 people in the village of Doma in the northwestern state of Katsina, police spokesman Abubakar Sadiq Aliyu said in a statement Wednesday. It is unclear who was responsible for the attack,

Last week, Boko Haram extremists in northeastern Nigeria killed at least 36 people during separate attacks on a construction site and on an army base.

The armed groups in Nigeria include at least two affiliated with IS, an offshoot of the Boko Haram extremist group known as the Islamic State West Africa Province in the northeast, and the lesser-known Islamic State Sahel Province (ISSP), known locally as Lakurawa, and prominent in the northwest.

The Nigerian military has said in the past that the Lakurawa has roots in neighboring Niger and that it became more active in Nigeria´s border communities following a 2023 military coup.

James Barnett, a researcher at the Washington-based Hudson Institute, said the attack in Kwara state on Wednesday was mostly perpetrated by the Jama´atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda´awati wal-Jihad, or JAS, a Boko Haram faction that has been responsible for other recent massacres in the area.

On Tuesday, the head of U.S. Africa Command said the United States had sent a small team of military officers to Nigeria, the latest step in its response to the security crisis. In December, U.S. forces launched airstrikes on IS-affiliated militants in Nigeria.

Africa´s most populous country has been in the diplomatic crosshairs of the U.S. following threats by President Donald Trump to attack the country, alleging it is not doing enough to protect its Christian citizens.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS

 

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq Boko Haram Jama´atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda´awati wal-Jihad Kwara State Lakurawa

Post navigation

Previous INEC to conduct clean-up of voter register, release details of new political parties
Next Alison-Madueke: London court hears more dirty details of how third parties allegedly funded ex-minister’s lavish lifestyle

Related Stories

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres
  • Society

Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.