Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • Sudan’s Hamdok says he returned to safeguard economic gains
  • International News

Sudan’s Hamdok says he returned to safeguard economic gains

Admin November 23, 2021

Nov 23, 2021

Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok said on Monday that maintaining the economic gains from the past two years was among the reasons he had decided to return to his post, under a deal with the military nearly a month after he was removed in a coup.

In an interview with Reuters at the Khartoum residence where he had been held under house arrest following the Oct. 25 military takeover, Hamdok said he believed a technocratic government he is expected to appoint would have a chance to improve living standards.

Prominent political parties and Sudan’s powerful protest movement have opposed Hamdok’s decision to sign the agreement with the military on Sunday, with some calling it a betrayal or saying it provided political cover for the coup.

“Among the reasons for my return is preserving the economic gains and the economic opening to the world,” Hamdok said.

Since Hamdok was first appointed prime minister in 2019 under a power sharing deal following the overthrow of Omar al-Bashir, Sudan has carried out economic reforms including the lifting of fuel subsidies and a managed float of its currency.

The reforms, monitored by the International Monetary Fund, won Sudan approval for forgiveness on much of its more than $50 billion in foreign debt — a deal that was thrown into doubt by the coup.

The World Bank and some bilateral donors paused badly needed economic assistance after the military takeover.

“We will continue our contacts with international financial institutions, and the new budget that will begin in January will proceed on the path of economic reform and open the door to investment in Sudan,” Hamdok said.

The civilian coalition that had been sharing power with the military before the coup and its former ministers said they rejected the agreement, citing a violent crackdown on anti-military protests over the past month.

But Hamdok said a new, technocratic government could help improve Sudan’s economy, which has suffered a prolonged crisis involving one of the world’s highest rates of inflation and shortages of basic goods.

It could also work towards completing a peace deal signed with some rebel groups last year to end years of internal conflict, Hamdok said.

“Implementing the Juba agreement and completing the peace processes with groups that did not sign the Juba agreement are at the top of the new government’s agenda,” he said.

After the deal between the military and Hamdok was announced on Sunday, protesters who had previously championed Hamdok began shouting slogans against him. Hamdok said he signed it to prevent further bloodshed.

“We are committed to the democratic path, freedom of expression and peaceful assembly and greater opening to the world,” he said on Monday.

REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Abdalla Hamdok

Post navigation

Previous OSINBAJO CELEBRATES COCA COLA @70 IN NIGERIA, HAILS COMPANY’s PLANNED $1B INVESTMENT IN THE COUNTRY
Next Soldier, IPOB member killed in repel attack against IPOB/ESN hoodlums carrying out Arson in Imo – Army 

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Cement prices highest in Nigeria than other top African markets: FCCPC survey
  • National News

Cement prices highest in Nigeria than other top African markets: FCCPC survey

August 19, 2026
Beyond Oil: Delta to equip 1,000 youths to drive agricultural revolution Maize farm
  • Business & Economy

Beyond Oil: Delta to equip 1,000 youths to drive agricultural revolution

August 19, 2026
TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD
  • National News

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD

August 18, 2026
Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores Kano
  • National News

Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.