Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • SMC, opposition reach agreement on power sharing…to establish sovereign council 
  • International News

SMC, opposition reach agreement on power sharing…to establish sovereign council 

Admin July 5, 2019
Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, deputy head of the Transitional Military Council

Sudan’s ruling military council, SMC and a coalition of opposition and protest groups reached an agreement to share power during a transition period leading to elections, setting off street celebrations by thousands of people.

The two sides, which have held talks in Khartoum for the past two days, agreed to “establish a sovereign council by rotation between the military and civilians for a period of three years or slightly more,” African Union mediator Mohamed Hassan Lebatt said at a news conference.

They also agreed to form an independent technocratic government and to launch a transparent, independent investigation into violent events in recent weeks.

The two sides agreed to postpone the establishment of a legislative council. They had previously agreed that the Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC) coalition would take two-thirds of a legislative council’s seats before security forces crushed a sit-in protest on June 3, killing dozens, and talks collapsed

The streets of Omdurman, Khartoum’s twin city across the Nile River, erupted in celebration when the news broke, a Reuters witness said. Thousands of people of all ages took to the streets, chanting “Civilian! Civilian! Civilian!”

Young men banged drums, people honked their car horns, and women carrying Sudanese flags ululated in jubilation.

“This agreement opens the way for the formation of the institutions of the transitional authority, and we hope that this is the beginning of a new era,” said Omar al-Degair, a leader of the FFC.

“We would like to reassure all political forces, armed movements and all those who participated in the change from young men and women … that this agreement will be comprehensive and will not exclude anyone,” said General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, deputy head of the Transitional Military Council.

“We thank the African and Ethiopian mediators for their efforts and patience. We also thank our brothers in the Forces for Freedom and Change for the good spirit,” said Dagalo, who heads the Rapid Support Forces accused by the FFC of crushing the sit-in.

Opposition medics say more than 100 people were killed in the dispersal and subsequent violence. The government put the death toll at 62.

Reuters

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: FFC Hamdan Dagalo Mohamed Hassan Lebatt Omar al-Degair TMC

Post navigation

Previous Women tech entrepreneurs seeking to break the glass ceiling in farming
Next Osun Guber: APC reacts to supreme Court judgement affirming Oyetayo winner, says it is “historic” 

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Chased down and Captured: How NDLEA dismantled cocaine syndicate, arrests popular Lagos socialite
  • National News

Chased down and Captured: How NDLEA dismantled cocaine syndicate, arrests popular Lagos socialite

August 18, 2026
IBB, Disu, Osoba, others in Lagos for Vanguard book launch, alumni reunion
  • National News

IBB, Disu, Osoba, others in Lagos for Vanguard book launch, alumni reunion

August 18, 2026
National Ranching Policy: Whose Land, Whose Ranches, Whose Future? – By TOM CHIAHEMEN MACBAN
  • Commentaries

National Ranching Policy: Whose Land, Whose Ranches, Whose Future? – By TOM CHIAHEMEN

August 18, 2026
Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian
  • National News

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.