Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Schoolboy, friends stage fake kidnap, receive N1.7m ransom – Lagos police
  • National News

Schoolboy, friends stage fake kidnap, receive N1.7m ransom – Lagos police

Admin December 19, 2025
Police

Police

Dec. 19, 2025

The Police Command in Lagos State has apprehended five suspects in connection with a stage-managed kidnapping incident involving a viral video of a schoolboy pleading for mercy in what was portrayed as a kidnappers’ den.

The Command’s spokesperson, SP Abimbola Adebisi, confirmed this in a statement on Friday in Lagos.

She said that the Smart detectives and intelligent operatives of the Anti- Kidnapping Tactical Squad of the Command apprehended the suspects, who were between the ages of 15 and 20, on Thursday, at 1:00 p.m., in the Ago Palace area of the state.

“They were apprehended following discreet and intelligence-led investigations into the incident, which had earlier sparked widespread public fear on social media.

“Preliminary investigations revealed that the incident was initially reported as a missing person case at the Ago Palace Police Division on Nov. 26.

“However, further investigations established that the alleged kidnapping was deliberately orchestrated by the 15-year-old suspected victim, in collaboration with four of his friends, ” she said.

Adebisi said that the suspects used the room of one of their associates, a 19-year-old, to stage the fake kidnapping.

The spokesperson said that further investigation revealed that the suspects conspired to fake the kidnapping in order to extort money from the supposed victim’s mother, who had recently received the sum of N4 million from a contribution.

She said that the suspects recorded and circulated a distressing video showing the supposed victim pleading for help, creating fear and panic within his family.

The image maker said that a ransom of N1.7 million was eventually paid by the suspected victim’s mother and transferred into the account of one of the suspects to secure her son’s release, the money was later shared among the group.

She said that the operatives were able to trace the Point-of-Sale (POS) terminal used for the transaction, which led to the apprehension of all those involved.

According to her, investigations are ongoing and the suspects will be charged before a court of competent jurisdiction for prosecution.

She said that the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Olohundare Jimoh, warned criminal elements to desist from all forms of crime, assuring residents that the Command would continue to intensify efforts to safeguard lives and property across the state.

Adebisi reassured residents that the incident was not a genuine case of kidnapping and urged the public to remain calm and continue their lawful activities.

She encouraged members of the public to promptly report any suspicious activities to the police through the Command’s emergency numbers: 0706 101 9374, 0806 515 4338, 0806 329 9264, and 0803 934 4870. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Abimbola Adebisi Mr Olohundare Jimoh

Post navigation

Previous 23 ships laden with petroleum products, food items expected at Lagos Ports
Next Film Census Board wants modification of film title ‘A Very Dirty Christmas’

Related Stories

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language
  • National News

Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy
  • Business & Economy

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy

August 20, 2026
About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 
  • Business & Economy

About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.