Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Piracy: Navy rescues 7 male victims from kidnappers’ hideout in Bayelsa
  • National News

Piracy: Navy rescues 7 male victims from kidnappers’ hideout in Bayelsa

Admin May 24, 2022
Naval rating arrested

Navy

May 24, 2022

The Nigeria Navy said it has rescued seven male victims who were abducted on May 10 by sea pirates off the coast of Bonny Island in Rivers.

The seven passengers were transiting to Port Harcourt from Bonny when their commercial boat was intercepted and the victims abducted by pirates.

Commodore Suleiman Ibrahim, the Commander, Nigeria Navy Ship (NNS) Pathfinder, Port Harcourt presented the rescued victims before newsmen on Tuesday at the naval headquarters in Port Harcourt.

He said the kidnappers after they intercepted the commercial boat diverted it to an unknown location inside the thick swampy forest of the state.

“After the pirates kidnapped the passengers on May 10 along Bonny Channel near Yellow Platform, we (NNS Pathfinder) immediately mobilised and started tracking to identify the abductors.

“Through intelligence gathering, we were able to identify one Mr Victor Padei which intelligence revealed masterminded the abductions.

“Thereafter, we mobilised troops and stormed his camp (in Rivers) but unfortunately by the time we arrived at the camp, Padei had already relocated with his victims.

“Padei knows the terrain very well and he deploys his local informants who give him information on the movement of troops.

Ibrahim said further reconnaissance was conducted to determine the whereabouts of fleeing abductors which revealed the suspects relocated to another camp in Bayelsa.

“Again, we mobilised personnel in collaboration with our naval base in Bayelsa to raid the kidnapper’s camp but unfortunately they already relocated with the victims before we got there.

“However, intelligence later discovered another camp in Bayelsa where kidnappers held the victims against their will.

“Upon storming the kidnappers’ den, we applied pressure (force) and issued them (kidnappers) to release the abductees unconditionally.

“Subsequently, on the midnight of May 21, the seven victims were returned unharmed to us and they are currently with us,” he added.

The navy officer said that troops were currently on the trail of the Padei and his gang of kidnappers and assured of their arrest and prosecution in no time.

He called on members of the public to go about their legitimate businesses as the navy in collaboration with other security outfits has further secured the waterways in Rivers.

Narrating his ordeal, one of the rescued victims, Jude Ichikpro, 57, expressed gratitude to the Nigeria Navy for rescuing him and his fellow passengers from kidnappers.

The victim told NAN that after their boat was intercepted their abductors blindfolded and took them to an unknown area.

“We transited several hours by sea and later arrived at their camp which I am still not sure about the location.

“After, we arrived at the camp they gave us our phones to contact and inform our family members of our abduction.

“Thereafter, they (abductors) demanded N350 million (N50 million each) for the seven of us to secure our release; threatening to kill anyone of us whose family did not pay their ransom.

“I was horrified and worried that I would be killed knowing that my family cannot raise such huge funds to secure my release. So, I kept praying fervently.

“The entire experience was horrific as they kept threatening us. I was overly worried knowing that my family cannot raise such huge sums of money to secure my release.

Ichikpro, a Delta state indigene, said that they were held for 12 days and fed with uncooked food; drank dirty and salty water and sometimes slept inside the swampy waters.

He said that on the day of their rescue, he heard loud noise which he initially thought was from the villages shadowing the kidnappers’ den.

“But the sound became louder, and only then did I realise that it was from security men because I can hear their voices but I was terrified and confused at the same time.

“Moments later, some men came to where we were kept and requested for our identity. It was only then I realised that they were naval personnel.

Ichikpro said that the navy operatives later took them away for de-briefing.

“I am so grateful to God and the Nigeria Navy for coming to my rescue without paying even a Kobo ransom to my kidnappers,” he expressed his delight. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Bonny Commodore Suleiman Ibrahim Jude Ichikpro NNS Victor Padei

Post navigation

Previous Paris Club refund: Court fixes Nov. 22 to hear $151m suit against Abia Govt.
Next COVID-19: Spain donates 4.4 million doses of J&J vaccines to Nigeria

Related Stories

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides
  • Politics

NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.