Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Oil Theft: Pipeline contract awarded to Tompolo’s firm a colossal embarrassment to the nation’s security agencies – Falana
  • National News

Oil Theft: Pipeline contract awarded to Tompolo’s firm a colossal embarrassment to the nation’s security agencies – Falana

Admin October 17, 2022
looking for grazing

Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana

October 17, 2022

Human rights lawyer Femi Falana says the award of pipeline surveillance contract to a company led by former militant leader Government Ekpemepulo aka Tompolo is a “colossal embarrassment” to security agencies in the country.

“In the first place, the President has demonstrably lost confidence in the competence of the military hence a contract has been awarded to a non-state actor, Mr Government aka Tompolo who is said to be making these discoveries now.

“That itself is a colossal embarrassment to a state that is supposed to be functional,” he said on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme on Monday.

Falana said the contract awarded to Tompolo is a loss of confidence on all the service chiefs who should have resigned.

“Ordinarily, the service chiefs should simply have resigned that Mr President you have lost confidence in us,” he said.

In August, the Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Mele Kyari, justified the government’s decision to award a multi-billion naira pipelines surveillance contract to Tantita Security Services led by Tompolo.

Tompolo’s firm recently made startling revelations on crude oil theft in the Niger Delta area. He said about 58 illegal oil points have been discovered so far since the operation to end oil theft on the waterways of Delta and Bayelsa states began.

Security agents recently destroyed a vessel used for crude oil theft off the Niger Delta creeks after the vessel was reportedly arrested by Tompolo’s firm.

The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Lucky Irabor said that the swift destruction of the oil bunkering vessel is in line with the “rules of engagement” and no investigation was needed to set the vessel ablaze.

However, Falana flayed the CDS, saying only the Federal High Court is empowered to order the interim or final forfeiture of any vessel that was used for conveying stolen crude oil.

The Senior Advocate of Nigeria, who said security agencies committed arson and acted in contrary to section 111 of the Armed Forces Act which prohibits the setting ablaze of a vessel, demanded the sacking of the CDS.

Falana maintained that President Muhammadu Buhari must ensure that all those who are indicted in the act of oil theft are fired, named and shamed noting that it cannot continue to be business as usual.

He said oil theft has been ongoing in Nigeria for the past 22 years and blamed the malady on “systematic collapse” and connivance of military and political leaders alongside oil companies lifting Nigeria’s oil illegally to ports in the United States.

Oil theft has made the headlines in recent times with the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria Sanusi Lamido Sanusi and Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State demanding the unbundling and privatisation of the NNPC.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Femi Falana Government Ekpemepulo Lucky Irabor Mele Kyari Nasir El’Rufai NNPC Limited Sanisi Lamido Sanusi

Post navigation

Previous Nigeria Air: Buhari insists on December take-off deadline
Next Serum Institute to produce Ebola vaccine for use in Uganda outbreak

Related Stories

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language
  • National News

Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy
  • Business & Economy

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy

August 20, 2026
About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 
  • Business & Economy

About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.