Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Breaking News
  • Some Nigerians in Libya not willing to return – Charge d’Affaires
  • Breaking News

Some Nigerians in Libya not willing to return – Charge d’Affaires

Admin December 7, 2017

December 7, 2017

Charge d’Affaires of Nigeria in Libya, Mr Illiya Fachano, says some Nigerians in Libya have refused to be repatriated inspite of the “unfavourable situations” .

Fachano told the News Agency of Nigeria on Thursday: “not all of them want to come back home”.

“Before you can assist them, they will have to sign a consent form, after which emergency travel certificates are issued.

“I want the public to know that we have some Nigerians who are not willing to return inspite of the unfavourable situations and the fact is that we can’t get them on the flight without their consent”.

“Migration is a natural and has always happened but becomes an issue when there are people migrating illegally meaning the migrants arrive without proper documentations and conceal their identity.

“What we do is identify the Nigerians in the camps, register them then issue them an emergency travel certificate but those who happen to be sick get medical treatments before being confirmed to fly.

“The Internationl Organisation for Migration (IOM) has rallied support of the European nations and particularly Italy for the Libyan Coast Guards who are particularly ordered to prevent boats that smuggle migrants and refugees from Libya to Europe.

“The fact that the coast guards at the Mediterranean Sea are professionally trained and well funded by the EU, they have captured many people who are trying to illegally cross to Europe and returned them to Libya.

“Unfortunately, we have noticed that in every batch of people brought back to Libya from Europe or the Mediterranean Sea, a larger number of the migrants come from Nigeria because of our population causing us to have much more Nigerians to be repatriated,’’ he said.

Fachano added that there were challenges in extracting Nigerians from Libya which required the assistance of the government.

“I can confirm that the stories of Africans being bought as slaves in general is true however, we discovered other people who were bought and sold by their fellow Nigerians living in Europe,” he said.

The charge d’affaires said it is worrisome that with all the efforts of the government to rescue stranded migrants, more Nigerians are still trying to go to these places hoping that they will be lucky in achieving their European dream.

NAN reports that the Federal Government said, yesterday, that it has so far identified 2,778 Nigerians trapped in the Libyan detention camps.

Of this figure, government said 250 were repatriated on Dec. 5.

So far the government said 3,250 have so far returned from the Libyan enclave.

Foreign Affairs ministry spokesman, Tiwatope Elias-Fatiile, said that the 2778 were Nigerians

identified in detention camps that embassy officials had been visiting.

Those registered in these camps, the spokesman said, While the government indicated that the repatriation exercise was a continuous exercise.

The government said it would continue to engage the legitimate government in Libya and other stakeholders in addressing the plight of Nigerian migrants in that country.

A report monitored from CNN indicates that Libya has become attractive for this modern trade in migrants and refugees because of its location as a transit point for Africans who try to reach Europe by sea.

The report notes that at least 150,000 people have tried to cross the Mediterranean Sea from Libya in the last three years.

At least 3,000 refugees have paid the supreme price while trying to make the dangerous crossing.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Obasanjo condemns resurgence of slavery in Africa
Next Nestle sustains growth on NSE

Related Stories

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes

August 16, 2026
BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke

August 6, 2026
FCTA confirms 8 rabies cases, 2 deaths, issues alert
  • Breaking News

FCTA confirms 8 rabies cases, 2 deaths, issues alert

July 15, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Teenager Arrested in Kebbi State for Abducting Newborn Baby to Deceive Husband Police
  • Crime and Justice

Teenager Arrested in Kebbi State for Abducting Newborn Baby to Deceive Husband

August 17, 2026
Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism
  • Commentaries

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism

August 17, 2026
West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns
  • Business & Economy

West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns

August 17, 2026
NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.