Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Nigeria may go into recession if COVID-19 continues beyond 6 months – Minister warns 
  • Breaking News
  • National News

Nigeria may go into recession if COVID-19 continues beyond 6 months – Minister warns 

Admin March 27, 2020

Hajiya-Zainab-Ahmed

Minister of Finance, Mrs Zainab Ahmed

 

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, has warned that Nigeria may go into a recession if the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues for the next couple of months.

She stated this during her appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today where she gave an update on measures taken to mitigate the effect of coronavirus on the nation’s economy.

“We are hopeful that this pandemic will be limited in time,” the minister said during the interview on Friday.

She added, “If it is an average of three months, we should be able to close the year with positive growth. But if it goes longer than that – six months, one year – we will go into recession.”

According to Ahmed, the Federal and the state governments will struggle in terms of revenue, as long as the crude oil price is as low as $30 and sub-$30 per barrel.

She explained that this was why the government was looking for alternative sources of funding in the form of budget support to boost the economy towards the trying times.

As part of measures to curb the spread of coronavirus and reduce its effect on the economy, the minister noted that President Muhammadu Buhari set up the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

She believes the committee, comprising key Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) and chaired by the Secretary of the Government of the Federation (SGF), is up to the tasked.

Ahmed also spoke about the recommendations of a former vice president, Atiku Abubakar, to support Nigerians in the course of the pandemic.

The government, according to her, is looking at the possibility of giving out stipend and to increase the stipend that it is already giving out to the category of Nigerians that are classified as the poor and vulnerable.

Ahmed said, “What we are doing is to make sure that we are able to respond to the health crisis because if it gets out of hand, it has also a direct impact on the economy and we have so far shown that the country is able to respond adequately to the health crisis.

“Health facilities are being upgraded; we have found resources that we can put to also further upgrade. If we don’t respond adequately to the health crisis, the impact on the economy will be worse.”

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Atiku Abubakar Muhammadu Buhari SGF Zainab Ahmed

Post navigation

Previous COVID-19: Confirmed cases in Nigeria now 70
Next COVID-19 impact: We have entered recession – IMF Chief cries out

Related Stories

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
LASG warns against illegal use of dealer number plates   prevention guild
  • National News

LASG warns against illegal use of dealer number plates  

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
NFF Sacks Falcons’ Coaching Staff After WAFCON Disaster & Missing Historic World Cup Spot
  • Sports

NFF Sacks Falcons’ Coaching Staff After WAFCON Disaster & Missing Historic World Cup Spot

August 17, 2026
Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.