Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Press Releases
  • NAPTIP seeks support of royal fathers to stop administration of oath of secrecy on victims of trafficking
  • Press Releases

NAPTIP seeks support of royal fathers to stop administration of oath of secrecy on victims of trafficking

Admin June 20, 2019
irregular migration

NAPTIP

Dame Julie Okah-Donli, Director-General of the National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), has urged traditional rulers in Lagos to use their positions to stop administration of oath of secrecy on victims of trafficking.

The director-general said on Thursday that oath-taking played a major role in human trafficking in Nigeria as it forced victims never to speak out.

She said that traditional rulers would be able to stop the act being carried out by some traditional priests.

Okah-Donli made the appeal during her advocacy visits to some traditional rulers in Lagos State.

The advocacy was against human trafficking.

She said that the visit was in recognition of the important roles of royal fathers.

The anti-human trafficking agency team visited the Ankran of Badagry, De Aholu Menu-Toyi I, on Thursday in Badagry.

She had visited the Olu of Agege, Olu of Epe, Oba of Lagos and Olu of Owode, Badagry.

In all the visits, only Olu of Agege and Ankran of Badagry met the NAPTIP team personally.

At the other palaces, the team met with chiefs.

Okah-Donli noted the efforts of the Oba of Benin in mobilising traditional priests to renounce such an oath after which many victims of trafficking were set free and some suspected traffickers arrested.

She urged royal fathers in Lagos to do same, saying that the state was endemic in human trafficking.

“The main reason we are here is partnership. We want the royal fathers to support NAPTIP”.

“NAPTIP has partnered with the Oba of Benin (Paramount Ruler of Edo) to stop administration of oath of secrecy by traditional priests on victims of trafficking. Almost all the states in Nigeria are affected by migration and human trafficking, but Lagos State is part of the most endemic”.

“About 7.09 per cent of victims rescued by NAPTIP from inception are from Lagos State – 839 out of 11,839 victims,” she noted.

Okah-Donli said that other areas of collaboration with the royal fathers would include sensitisation, donation of land for victims’ shelters and checkmating illegal routes used by traffickers.

A UN Officer on Drug and Crime, Mr Oliver Stolpe, who was in the delegation, said that human trafficking was a heinous crime that should be fought by all.

He urged royal fathers in Lagos State to support NAPTIP in the fight against human trafficking by carrying out sensitisation on their subjects.

Responding, the Akran of Badagry, said that the advocacy visit to his kingdom was significant in view of the fact that slave trade started in Badagry.

The royal father noted that Badagry was a border town, saying that campaign against human trafficking there was important.

“As traditional rulers, we shall try our best to make human trafficking to stop here by supporting NAPTIP in its campaign,” he said.

The Olu of Agege, Oba Kamila Isiba, had earlier hailed NAPTIP for the fight against human trafficking.

NAPTIP team had made an advocacy visit to Epe Grammar School in Lagos State, where senior students were advised to avoid being trafficked and report suspected culprits to authorities. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Agege Badagry NAPTIP Oba of Lagos and Olu Okah-Donli Oliver Stolpe Olu of Epe Owode

Post navigation

Previous WRD: C/River hosts 75% of over 36,000 Cameroonian refugees in Nigeria -UNHCR
Next Confusion rocks Bauchi assembly as two speakers emerge in separate elections

Related Stories

Birthday: Makarfi sends passionate appreciation message to President Tinubu, Nigerians 
  • Press Releases

Birthday: Makarfi sends passionate appreciation message to President Tinubu, Nigerians 

August 10, 2026
Access Bank Debunks Fake Shutdown Notice, Reaffirms Service Continuity Access Bank rewards customers
  • Press Releases

Access Bank Debunks Fake Shutdown Notice, Reaffirms Service Continuity

July 31, 2026
Lagos Govt Begins Registration of Roadside,  Informal Space Occupants Under SCRAMP Initiative prevention guild
  • Press Releases

Lagos Govt Begins Registration of Roadside,  Informal Space Occupants Under SCRAMP Initiative

July 15, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy
  • Business & Economy

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy

August 20, 2026
About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 
  • Business & Economy

About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.