Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Naira redesign: No individual, organisation will be allowed to withdraw huge cash without interrogation – Emefiele
  • National News

Naira redesign: No individual, organisation will be allowed to withdraw huge cash without interrogation – Emefiele

Admin November 23, 2022

November 23, 2022

Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, says with the introduction of the redesigned Naira notes, no individual or organisation will be allowed to withdraw huge cash without being interrogated from relevant anti-corruption agencies.

Emefiele stated this when he fielded questions from State House correspondents on Wednesday in Abuja.

President Muhammadu Buhari had earlier on Wednesday inaugurated the new Naira banknotes of N200, N500 and N1,000, expressing delight that the redesigned currencies were locally produced by the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting (NSPM) PLC.

However, the CBN governor said that with the redesign of the Naira note, the CBN would ensure full implementation of the cashless economic system across the country.

“We will insist that cashless would be nationwide. We will restrict the volume of cash that people can withdraw over the counter.

“If you need to withdraw large volume of cash, you will fill uncountable forms. We will take your data, whether it is your BVN, your NIN so that enforcement agencies like EFCC or ICPC can follow you and be sure that you are taking that money for good purpose.

“We have to work as a country, Nigeria is the biggest country both in population and economy in Africa and we have to ensure that we do things the right way that also positions us as leader in Africa and one of the leading countries in the world.

“We must do things right and I think it would start from today.”

According to Emefiele, many countries, especially the advanced ones have far gone cashless and Nigeria must not be left behind.

He said: : “In other countries you will find, say in the US, if you want to withdraw US$10,000 from the counter, you will be interrogated, you will fill numerous forms, they will even track the use of that US$10,000 cash that you are withdrawing.

“Or you want to withdraw £10,000 from the counter, they will refuse and if you insist then you will fill forms.

“The problems we have had in the past is that we say this is a cash economy.

“There is no economy that is inbuilt thinking that it has to be a cash economy.

“The world has moved away from predominantly cash to cashless economy. And I think Nigeria and the Central Bank of Nigeria is prepared at this time to move towards a cashless economy.”

Emefiele also dismissed the assertion that the redesigned Naira notes was targeted at some individuals, including politicians.

“There is no need for anybody to think that this programme is targeted at anyone.

“Like you heard the President speak in the chambers. He said that this discussion to redesign and reissue this currency started earlier in the year.

“We took painstaking efforts in looking at the pros and cons and the reasons when and why it should be done. And the President, in his wisdom, decided that yes, it must be done,” he added. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: CBN Godwin emefiele Muhammadu Buhari NSPM

Post navigation

Previous 2023: Makinde charges residents to vote for party’s candidates
Next Tinubu says Umahi is a progressive leader, backs Nwifuru

Related Stories

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos Scammers
  • National News

Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos Scammers
  • National News

Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos

August 19, 2026
Peter Obi is Nigerians’ Candidate of Conscience – Media Office
  • Politics

Peter Obi is Nigerians’ Candidate of Conscience – Media Office

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.