Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • N100m Bribe: Chinese nationals, accomplices will be charged to court soon – EFCC 
  • Breaking News
  • National News

N100m Bribe: Chinese nationals, accomplices will be charged to court soon – EFCC 

Admin May 12, 2020

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says the two arrested Chinese national and their accomplices will be charged to court soon.

The Chinese were arrested for offering the sum of N100m as bribe to the Zonal head of the anti-graft agency in Sokoto State, Mr Abdullahi Lawal.

The agency disclosed this in a series of tweets on Tuesday, noting that the arrest was made on Monday in Sokoto.

According to the EFCC, the sum was allegedly offered in a desperate bid to compromise ongoing investigations of a construction company, China Zhonghao Nig. Ltd, handling contracts awarded by the Zamfara State Government in the sum of N50,000,000,000.00(Fifty Billion Naira) between 2012 to 2019.

“The zonal office of the Commission is investigating the construction company, in connection with the execution of contracts for the construction of township roads in Gummi, Bukkuyun, Anka and Nassarawa towns of Zamfara state; and also the construction of one hundred and sixty eight (168) solar- powered boreholes in the 14 local government areas of the state.

“Alarmed by the consistency and professionalism of investigation being conducted, the company reached out to  Lawal with an offer of  N100,000,000(One Hundred Million Naira)  as bribe to “bury” the matter,” the statement read.

But the suspects were promptly arrested with the cash as evidence.

It, however, noted that in a grand design to trap the corrupt officials, Lawal played along.

“On Monday, two representatives of the company Meng Wei Kun and Xu Kuoi offered him cash totalling fifty million naira in their office along airport road, Sokoto. The cash was offered as a first installment”.

The anti-graft agency further explained that the investigation of the construction company was informed by intelligence on alleged conspiracy;  misappropriation of public funds; embezzlement; official corruption; abuse of office, stealing and money laundering obtained against the Zamfara State government through inflated and uncompleted contracts awarded to the company.

So far, according to the EFCC, investigations have revealed that China Zounghao Ltd has received payments of over N41,000,000,000.00 (Forty-One Billion Naira) from the Zamfara state government …out of which about N16,000,000,000.00 (Sixteen Billion Naira) equivalent to over $53,000,000.00 (Fifty-Three Million US Dollars) was allegedly diverted and traced to some bureau de change operators. It says the suspects would be charged to court soon.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link

Post navigation

Previous Covid-19:  Sanwo-Olu charges newly appointed H/Court judges, Judicial Officers to keep the wheel of the justice system moving
Next Rodnab: Fulfilling local content mandate in construction industry

Related Stories

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister
  • National News

2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports greater efficiency
  • Business & Economy

12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports

August 20, 2026
Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns Microsoft
  • Business & Economy

Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.