Skip to content
August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Microsoft set to cut 1,850 jobs in smartphone streamlining
  • National News

Microsoft set to cut 1,850 jobs in smartphone streamlining

Admin May 25, 2016

Microsoft LumiaMicrosoft said it is cutting jobs as part of an effort to “streamline the company’s smartphone hardware business”, incurring a $950 million restructuring charge as a result.

The company appears to have stopped short of exiting the segment completely, with Satya Nadella, CEO, stating that it will focus its phone efforts “where we have differentiation – with enterprises that value security, manageability and our Continuum capability, and consumers who value the same”.

With regard to its wider mobile efforts, the executive said that Microsoft will “continue to innovate across devices and on our cloud services across all mobile platforms”. It has been making various apps and services available on Android and iOS for some time, in order to extend its reach beyond its own lacklustre mobile platform.

Microsoft’s failure to gain traction in the smartphone market is well documented. Figures from analyst firm Gartner put its share of the sector in the first quarter of the year at less than 1 per cent.

With its own hardware business – acquired from Nokia for around €5.5 billion – not delivering significant volume, Microsoft has similarly not been able to generate substantial support from other vendors.

And the computing giant has been distancing itself from the hardware business for some time. In July last year, it announced 7,800 job cuts and $7.6 billion in impairment charges related to the former Nokia business, and said it would “run a more effective and focused phone portfolio while retaining capability for long-term reinvention in mobility”.

When its mid-tier Lumia 650 was unveiled in February this year, it was already being suggested that this may be the last in this line, with little colour added at the subsequent Mobile World Congress.

The big question comes with regard to Microsoft’s Windows platform in the mobile market. After it was barely mentioned at the company’s recent Build developer event, Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s Windows chief, said that its intention is to “support the Windows 10 Mobile platform for many years”, while also admitting it is “not the core” of its immediate focus.

But for some time Microsoft, and Nokia before it, was the driver of Windows Mobile volume and, with this off the table, it is not clear why the company would want to continue its investment in the niche platform.

Today’s move comes shortly after a deal was announced to offload much of its phone business to a Foxconn subsidiary and HMD, the latter a new company intending to offer devices under the Nokia banner.

Microsoft said that in line with the new cuts, 1,350 jobs will be lost in Finland, and 500 more globally. Its actions are expected to be “substantially complete” by the end of the calendar year. Mobileworldlive.com

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Modibo Kawu Heads NBC, Onanuga Leads NAN in New FG Appointments
Next Cyber Attack: Crooks steal $13m in 3 hours via ATM in Japan

Related Stories

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister
  • National News

2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports greater efficiency
  • Business & Economy

12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports

August 20, 2026
Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns Microsoft
  • Business & Economy

Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.