Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Man in Hat in Brussels Airport Attack is in Custody, Belgium Says
  • National News

Man in Hat in Brussels Airport Attack is in Custody, Belgium Says

Admin April 9, 2016

AbriniThe man in the hat who accompanied the two suicide bombers who detonated their bags at Brussels Airport on March 22, and who was seen in a surveillance image walking away from the airport after the explosions, has been identified as Mohamed Abrini, the Belgian prosecutor’s office said Saturday in a statement.

The New York Times reports that Mr. Abrini was detained on Friday in Brussels and was charged with participation in the activities of a terrorist group and terrorist murder earlier on Saturday. Later in the day, he confessed that he had been also directly involved in the explosions at Brussels Airport, the prosecutor’s office said.

“After being confronted with the results of the different expert examinations, he confessed his presence at the crime scene,” the office announced in its statement. “He explained having thrown away his vest in a garbage bin and having sold his hat afterwards.”

The arrest of Mr. Abrini and his confession is a major breakthrough in the case, and, if followed by further information, it could help investigators identify the rest of the Islamic State network in Belgium and France.

Mr. Abrini is also suspected of providing logistical support for the Nov. 13 attacks in and around Paris that killed 130 people, the prosecutors said. Until Friday, Mr. Abrini was the only known suspect in the Paris attacks who had not been killed or captured.

Mr. Abrini, 31, according to the prosecutor’s office, now says he was at the attack at Brussels Airport, which killed 15 people and the two suicide bombers. He remained in Belgium at least for part of the time between the two attacks, officials say, and is likely to have at least some information, and perhaps a great deal, about the planning and individuals involved.

Picture: File photo of Mr. Abrini

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous DSS Arrests Another Founding Member of Boko Haram, Uncovers 50 IPOB Graves in Abia Forest
Next Saraki alleges plot to force him out of office via protests

Related Stories

Sokoto boat mishap claims 41 lives, 11 rescued — NIWA
  • National News

Sokoto boat mishap claims 41 lives, 11 rescued — NIWA

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Sokoto boat mishap claims 41 lives, 11 rescued — NIWA
  • National News

Sokoto boat mishap claims 41 lives, 11 rescued — NIWA

August 20, 2026
FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy
  • Business & Economy

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy

August 20, 2026
About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 
  • Business & Economy

About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.