Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Breaking News
  • Labour suspends nationwide strike, gives reasons
  • Breaking News

Labour suspends nationwide strike, gives reasons

Admin November 16, 2023
May Day

File photo..Labour rally

May Day
File photo..Labour rally

The Organised Labour has explained why it suspended the nationwide indefinite strike that commenced on Nov. 14.

Mr Emmanuel Ugboaja, General Secretary, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), explained the action in a statement he jointly signed with Mr Nuhu Toro, Secretary General, Trade Union Congress(TUC), on Wednesday in Abuja.

“The NEC in session had a thorough review of the offers presented by the Federal Government through the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

“We found the offers credible and decided to reconsider our action,” he said.

It would be recalled that the organised labour earlier met with the NSA and the Minister of Labour and Employment, Simon Lalong.

“After the meeting, we directed all affiliates and State councils of both the NLC and TUC to demobilise, cease any further escalation of the indefinite strike action.

“We fully resume work tomorrow, Thursday, the 16th day of November, 2023,” he said.

He added that a resolution was reached to suspend the ongoing nationwide strike, which commenced on the 14th November, 2023.

According to Ugboaja, the suspension is intended to facilitate further discussions after the federal government had met crucial demands.

“We expect government to address the distressing abduction and brutalisation of the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Joe Ajaero, and others.

“These incidents occurred in the hands of the Police and Gov. Hope Uzodimma’s thugs in Owerri, in Imo, on the 1st day of November, 2023,” he recalled.

He noted that an apology was tendered on behalf of the government by the NSA, who promised to coordinate the investigation.

He added that some of the perpetrators had been arrested while others would be fished out and prosecuted.

Ugboaja said that high-powered investigation was currently being carried out and the leadership of labour centres would be briefed continuously as progress is being made.

He commended all affiliates and state councils for their unwavering commitment and tenacity that made the strike a success.

“Once again, we convey our appreciation for your cooperation, resilience and determination in ensuring the success of the indefinite nationwide strike.

“We encourage you to remain vigilant as we await the fulfilment of the remaining agreements,” he said. (NAN)

 

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: NLC Nuhu Ribadu simon lalong Strike suspension TUC

Post navigation

Previous EFCC again warns against unauthorised use of its operational identities for skit making, says operatives are not bullies
Next Tinubu, Eno, others set fresh goals for the media on national integration 

Related Stories

Landmark $1B Underwriting Deal Paves Way for Record-Breaking Dangote Refinery IPO refinery
  • Breaking News
  • National News

Landmark $1B Underwriting Deal Paves Way for Record-Breaking Dangote Refinery IPO

August 18, 2026
BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes

August 16, 2026
BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke

August 6, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund
  • National News

Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund

August 19, 2026
Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.