Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • Italy launches antitrust probe against Google over abuse of dominant market position
  • International News

Italy launches antitrust probe against Google over abuse of dominant market position

Admin May 17, 2019

Google’s delay on ads standard for EU privacy law creates compliance mess

Google is facing more antitrust issues in Europe after it was revealed that the Italian competition watchdog has opened an investigation.

It is probing Google’s alleged abuse of a dominant market position in the smart device sector.
Google of course owns units such as Nest, which until 2018 was kept as a separate division from Google before it was brought back in-house.

According to Silicon UK report, Nest had been acquired by Google back in 2014 for $3.2 billion, after it made its name with just two household devices, namely the Nest Thermostat and the Nest Protect smoke detector.

Since then the number of Nest devices has expanded, and now there are web-connected thermostats, a doorbell, smoke alarm and home security system, coupled with the Google Home smart speakers and Chromecast streaming devices for example.

The Italian Antitrust Authority said it hopes to conclude its investigation by 30 May 2020.
It began the investigation when its officials on Thursday carried out inspections with Alphabet Inc, Google LLC and Google Italy S.r.l, which it refers to collectively as ‘Google’.

The Italian investigation also noted that Google, via the Android operating system, holds a dominant position in the smart device operating systems market.

In its statement in Italian (the English version not available at the time of writing), the watchdog noted that Google had allegedly refused to integrate the app “Enel X Recharge”, developed by utility Enel, in its Android Auto app.

For those that don’t know, Android Auto is the Google answer to Apple Car play.

It essentially allows Android users to easily and safely use some apps and phone features while they are driving.
The watchdog said that the exclusion of the Enel X Recharge app reduces the usability of the app, including the booking of recharge stations.

The Italian Competition Authority (AGCM) takes issue with Google refusing to incorporate into its Android operating system an app giving information on recharge stations for electric cars.

The Italian statement also reportedly added that it was allegedly in Google’s interest to defend and reinforce the business model of its Google Maps app.

This is because Google Maps offers other services besides navigation, including information on the location of charging stations for electric cars and how to reach them.

AGCM said it would conclude its investigation by May 30, 2020.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: AGCM Chromesat Enel X Google Nest

Post navigation

Previous Today, becoming an intelligent bank is not an option – Wigwe
Next Nigeria urges the international community to simplify the process of tracing, recovering, repatriating IFFs …As Nigeria accounts for 21% of the $80b losses annually

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
NFF Sacks Falcons’ Coaching Staff After WAFCON Disaster & Missing Historic World Cup Spot
  • Sports

NFF Sacks Falcons’ Coaching Staff After WAFCON Disaster & Missing Historic World Cup Spot

August 17, 2026
Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.