Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Insecurity: Over 600,000 children remain out-of-school, 1.1 m need educational support to stay in school in N/East – UN
  • National News

Insecurity: Over 600,000 children remain out-of-school, 1.1 m need educational support to stay in school in N/East – UN

Admin September 10, 2021
endsars protests

Sept. 10, 2021

The United Nations Resident Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, has condemned the incessant attacks on schools and kidnappings that had affected hundreds of children in the country.

This was part of his message commemorating the 2021 International Day to Protect Education from Attack, in which he described the attacks on schools as a direct attack on Nigeria’s future generations.

The Day aimed at raising awareness of the plight of children in conflict-affected areas, growing up without access to education.

With over 10 million children already out of school, conflict has aggravated the situation and deeply affected the prospects of many young people, especially the most vulnerable ones.

“In the last academic year, it is estimated that 1.3 million children have been impacted by attacks or abductions in schools in Nigeria.

“Across the North-East region alone, over 600,000 children remain out-of-school and some 1.1 million need educational support to stay in school.

He said that such attacks were traumatic for the children, undermined their individual dignity and could lead the affected families to withdraw them from education completely.

According to him, whenever teaching and learning is disrupted, the impact on human capital development is enormous as the recovery period is always tortuous and longer than the length of the initial disruption.

“Nigeria cannot afford to leave the situation of incessant attacks on schools unaddressed because children are traumatised, parents are scared, and teachers and school administrators are afraid.

“These attacks on schools are gradually spreading to areas not known to insurgencies. With education under attack, the collective future of Nigeria is under threat. This must stop now!,” Kallon said.

He urged the government to review the progress made in implementing the Safe Schools’ declaration and fully put into practice commitments made in the 2019 ratification, by taking decisive actions to protect education from attack.

Kallon noted that UNICEF had been working hard to expand the availability of classrooms and teachers in Nigeria’s most conflict-affected regions.

“Education is a fundamental human right, one that is enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It is an essential driver for fostering peace, promoting just societies, and supporting sustainable development.

“I call on the Federal and state Governments to do more to protect schools from attacks and ensure that teaching and learning were made safe and conducive in all schools in Nigeria,” he said.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Edward Kallon UNICEF

Post navigation

Previous Guinea junta tells central bank to freeze government accounts
Next Facebook unveils its first smart glasses

Related Stories

Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.