Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Gen. Musa opens up on the coup, says, ‘I was to be shot’, dismisses suspects as unserious
  • National News

Gen. Musa opens up on the coup, says, ‘I was to be shot’, dismisses suspects as unserious

Admin February 2, 2026

Gen Chris Musa Defence minister

Gen Chris Musa Defence minister

The Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (Rtd), says he was one of the targets of a coup plot and was meant to be shot by the orchestrators. General Musa spoke on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics.

He said: “I was also a target, I am sure you know,” the minister, who is the immediate past Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), said on the show.

“I was supposed to be arrested, and if I refused, I was supposed to be shot.”

It will be recalled that in October, the military arrested “16 officers over acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations”.

But last week, authorities said “findings have identified a number of the officers with allegations of plotting to overthrow the government, which is inconsistent with the ethics, values, and professional standards required of members of the AFN.

“Accordingly, those with cases to answer will be formally arraigned before an appropriate military judicial panel to face trial in accordance with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable service regulations,” the Director, Major General, Samaila Uba, said in a statement.

Several top government officials and other prominent leaders were allegedly marked to be killed in the coup attempt.

Reports have linked the attempted coup to the cancellation of the 65th Independence Anniversary parade.

Ex-Bayelsa State governor, Timipre Sylva’s house was raided over an alleged link to a coup plot.

According to General Musa, those involved in the coup plot were “unserious individuals”.

“I think these guys were a bunch of unserious individuals. If you look at the calibre of persons [involved in the attempted coup], I don’t know what got into their heads to think they can take on the Armed Forces like that,” the minister said.

The minister said Nigerians would have fought against the coup plotters as they have done in the past.

“What I even said is that even Nigerians would have fought them. Remember, Nigerians have fought against military rule for quite some time. Mr President has been one of them, so for them to wake up one morning and think they can do that in Nigeria, I think they need to reset their brain,” he said.

Nigeria has had a history of coups, especially between 1966 and 1993. But the country returned to democracy in 1999 and has since been in a democratic setting.

The coup attempt came in the wake of a series of military takeovers and attempted coups in West Africa. There was a coup attempt in neighbouring Benin Republic late last year but Nigeria military helped to thwart it under 12 hours.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Coup plot Gen. Christopher Musa Republic of Benin

Post navigation

Previous Nigeria forward, Ademola Lookman, joins Atletico Madrid this week
Next January exposes Nigeria’s deepening challenges, says Peter Obi

Related Stories

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres
  • Society

Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.