Skip to content
August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • First doses of experimental Ebola vaccine arrive in DR Congo
  • International News

First doses of experimental Ebola vaccine arrive in DR Congo

Admin May 16, 2018

The Ebola virus..new virus could enhance immunity against Ebola

May 16, 2018

First doses of experimental Ebola vaccine arrive in DR Congo

The first 4,000 doses of experimental vaccine provided by the WHO to combat against the Ebola outbreak has arrived on Wednesday in Kinshasa, the capital city of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

NAN reports that the WHO on Monday gave the go-ahead to officials in the DRC to import and use an experimental Ebola vaccine in the country.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: “we have agreement, registration, plus import permit, everything formally agreed already,.

“All is ready now to really use it.”

The vaccine, developed by Merck in 2016, has proven safe and effective in human trials, but it is still experimental as it does not yet have a licence.

It must be kept at -60 to -80 degrees Celsius (-76°F to -112°F), creating huge logistical challenges.

The shot, which was tested in Guinea in 2015 at the end of a vast Ebola outbreak in West Africa, is designed for use in a so-called “ring vaccination” approach.

This would mean that when a new Ebola case is diagnosed, all people who might have been in recent contact with them are traced and vaccinated to try and prevent the disease’s spread.

The WHO said earlier on Monday that the Democratic Republic of Congo had reported 39 suspected, probable or confirmed cases of Ebola between April 4 and May 13, including 19 deaths.

The WHO said 393 people who identified as contacts of Ebola patients were being followed up.

Tedros travelled to Congo over the weekend and flew to the remote area, still only accessible by motorbike or helicopter, where the deadly haemorrhagic disease has broken out.

“Being there is very, very important. If a general cannot be with its troops in the front line it’s not a general,” he said.

“And the second thing is, associated with Ebola there is stigma. We have to go and show that that should really stop. And if there is risk, my life is not better than anyone.”

He praised the Congolese government, including President Joseph Kabila whom he met during his trip.

Information about the outbreak in Bikoro, Iboko and Wangata in Equateur province was still limited, the WHO said, but at present the outbreak does not meet the criteria for declaring a “public health event of international concern”, which would trigger the formation of an emergency WHO committee.
  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Democratic Republic of Congo Ebola experimental vaccine Ebola outbreak Ebola outbreak in West Africa President Joseph Kabila WHO

Post navigation

Previous Kebbi secures $60m World Bank loan for construction of 500 rural roads
Next FERMA begins fixing roads, drains to stem flooding in Lagos

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports greater efficiency
  • Business & Economy

12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports

August 20, 2026
Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns Microsoft
  • Business & Economy

Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.