Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • FG relieves Benin registrar of marriages of his duties
  • National News

FG relieves Benin registrar of marriages of his duties

Admin June 5, 2021
Love at NUGA

Wedding rings..photo: Google

June 5, 2021

The Federal Government has instituted immediate disciplinary action against Mr Ozuruonye Chukuma, the Registrar of the Federal Marriage Registry in Benin, for negligence and absence from duty.

The offences, it said, constituted acts unbecoming of a public officer in contravention of extant Public Service Rules.

The Director, Citizenship and Business at the Ministry of Interior, Mrs Soyinka Onijala, disclosed this in a statement on Friday, on behalf of Dr Shuaib Belgore, Permanent Secretary, in the ministry.

Belgore, who is statutorily the Principal Registrar of Marriages in Nigeria, said the decision was in line with the ethics of the Civil Service which encouraged diligence and discipline in public officers.

“This will serve as a deterrent to others who are careless with their official duties,” Belgore said.

He added that he had directed an immediate investigation into the incident and ordered that Chukuma be relieved of his duties as a Marriage Registrar at the Benin Federal Marriage Registry and recalled to the Headquarters in Abuja immediately, pending the conclusion of the investigation.

It will be recalled that some sections of the media had reported that Chukuma was absent from his duty post to carry out his statutory role on May 28, as an intending couple and their family members were at the marriage registry for the event, but the Registrar was not on ground to conduct the marriage.

Belgore noted that the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, had earlier warned all Federal Marriage Registrars, who failed to carry out their official duties diligently to desist from such acts or be ready to face disciplinary action.

The permanent secretary, on behalf of the minister, and the entire ministry, had tendered an unreserved apology to the couple, Mr Abel Ugiagbe, and Miss Marian Obire, over the disappointment. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Abel Ugiagbe Miss Marian Obire Ozuruonye Chukuma rauf aregbesola Shoyinka Onijala

Post navigation

Previous Delta to partner Lutheran Church other FBOs to curb irregular migration, human trafficking 
Next Twitter ban: UK, EU, others call for dialogue; back free speech

Related Stories

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language
  • National News

Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language

August 20, 2026
FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking children
  • National News

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language
  • National News

Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language

August 20, 2026
Understanding CBN’s mandates and policy thrusts, by Arize Nwobu
  • Business & Economy

Understanding CBN’s mandates and policy thrusts, by Arize Nwobu

August 20, 2026
Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum
  • Business & Economy

Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.