Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • FG determined to end crude oil theft, says it can no longer be condoned – Sylva
  • National News

FG determined to end crude oil theft, says it can no longer be condoned – Sylva

Admin March 24, 2022
Timipre Sylva

Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Mr Timipre Sylva

March 24, 2022

The Federal Government says it is determined to stop the economic devastation occasioned by the activities of illegal refiners, pipeline vandals and crude oil thieves in the country.

The Minister of State Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva, said this on Wednesday at Bonny Island, Rivers, while addressing officers of the 146 Battalion and other security agencies represented in the fight against oil theft.

Sylva was on an assessment tour on some illegal refinery sites at the Niger Delta region creek with the Chief of Defence Staff, Maj.- Gen. Lucky Irabor, and Group Managing Director, NNPC, Malam Mele Kyari, among other dignitaries.

Sylva said President Muhammadu Buhari had directed that the illegal activities must stop and had called for an assessment of the devastation occasioned by the activities of the criminals.

Addressing officers of the 146 Battalion, Sylva said, “you are here on a mission, I commend you for all the good work you have done our nation depends on this asset to survive, oil and gas is one of the major sustaining asset of the country.

“Unfortunately, we have had a lot of insecurity around oil facilities and pipelines, this can no longer be condoned. Mr President has directed that this must stop.

“You are here as gallant officers to protect these facilities, hence forth we will be working closely with you to ensure that there is zero loss to our production.

“You have done so well so far as the Chief of Defence Staff said, there is still ground to cover, so let us all work together and protect these national assets for the good of all,” the minister said.

The minister said the final solution to the problem required three elements which included involvement of the community, the government security and the operating companies.

He said the government was determined to stop it because it could not afford the continuation of the insecurity in the industry adding that the criminals have their days numbered.

“We are here to reclaim this industry for the country because the country has lost so much from the activities of these criminals and government can no longer afford these activities,” the minister said.

Also speaking, the Chief of Defence Staff, Maj.-Gen.Lucky Irabor, said the assessment became necessary because of the economic loses being witnessed in the oil and gas sector.

Irabor said the economic losses were so huge and currently the economy of the country was bleeding.

“We urge you to revert the trend,” he charged the 146 battalion.

According to the CDS, our drive is to look at the value chain within the oil and gas space and get the actual criminals and those supporting them. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Maj.-Gen.Lucky Irabor Malam Mele Kyari NNPC Timipre Sylva

Post navigation

Previous ‘No enough evidence to support your claim’, Dutch Court rejects suit of Nigerian widows against Shell
Next Copyright operatives nab 4 suspected book pirates, impounds  N2.5 m worth of works in Abuja

Related Stories

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides
  • Politics

NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.