Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Ekiti State describes reports of harassment of protesters by soldiers as untrue, misleading
  • National News

Ekiti State describes reports of harassment of protesters by soldiers as untrue, misleading

Admin October 20, 2020
Pensions

Gov. Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State

Ekiti State Government has described social media reports that soldiers have taken over Ado-Ekiti, the state capital, chasing protesters with guns as untrue and misleading.

Commissioner for Information and Value Orientation, Akin Omole, said in a statement on Tuesday in Ado-Ekiti that soldiers did not engage the protesters even as the latter barricaded most roads in the state capital throughout Monday.

The commissioner said that the soldiers were in Ekiti to protect the people, including the protesters as well as to prevent hoodlums and miscreants from hijacking the peaceful protest to commit crime and harass innocent citizens.

Omole admonished the protesters to remain law-abiding and refrain from harassing innocent citizens to avoid a total hijack of the protest by criminals and hoodlums.

He noted that Gov. Kayode Fayemi had set up a panel of enquiry and restitution to address the issue of police brutality in the state in line with a decision taken at the Governors Forum and also in consonance with the recommendations of the National Economic Council.

The commissioner assured that the panel, chaired by retired Justice Cornelius Akintayo, and which has representatives of civil society organisations and youth groups, would look into cases of police brutality and recommend compensations for victims.

He said that the committee would ensure that offending SARS officers were identified and prosecuted.

Omole added that government was aware that the on-going protest was beyond the scrapping of SARS or the call for police reformation and largely had to do with the demand for better governance.

He emphasised that the state government had already started consultations with stakeholders to address the fundamental issues that led to the protest.

“While the present administration in Ekiti State recognises and respects the right to peaceful assembly and in fact, identifies with the people on the demand for good governance, all stakeholders must be mindful of the safety of lives and property.

“Innocent and law-abiding citizens should be allowed to go about their lawful businesses without hindrance, while there must be due cognizance of the fact that wilful destruction of property will be detrimental to the socio-economic wellbeing of the people,’’ Omole said.

He assured that the state government would continue to work toward making life more meaningful for the people in spite of the global economic downturn and the devastating effect of the COVID-19 pandemic. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Akin Omole kayode fayemi

Post navigation

Previous #EndSARS: Please call off the protest, you’ve made your point, govt has made its commitment to you- Tinubu 
Next #EndSARS: We’ll establish a system of citizen-led accountability for the Nigerian Police – Gbajabiamila

Related Stories

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres
  • Society

Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.