Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • EFCC to appeal court order unfreezing Fayose’s account
  • National News

EFCC to appeal court order unfreezing Fayose’s account

Admin December 14, 2016

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission  said the court order given on Tuesday by Justice Taiwo Taiwo in Ado-Ekiti, ordering it to unfreeze Governor Ayo Fayose’s accounts at Zenith Bank  may be a legal nullity. The commission said it would appeal the order.

In a statement, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, the commission’s spokesman said although the commission is awaiting a certified true copy of the ruling, the judgment contradicted  an existing order by a court of equal jurisdiction, to the Ado Ekiti court.

“While the Commission awaits the certified copy of the ruling, it is important to point out that this order contradicts another order by Justice M. B Idris of the Federal High Court, Lagos which gave the Commission the nod to freeze the accounts pending the conclusion of investigation.

“This order from a court of coordinate jurisdiction was not set aside by Justice Taiwo. In spite of this, the Commission has taken immediate step to appeal the order by Justice Taiwo”, Uwujaren stated.

Justice Taiwo in giving the order, in the case filed by Chief Mike Ozekhome, for Fayose,  said the EFCC  did not follow due process.

The judge said the rights of the governor had been infringed upon, considering the circumstance of his office.

He declared that apart from the immunity which Fayose currently enjoys as a sitting governor under Section 308 of the constitution, it was wrong for EFCC to freeze his two accounts in apparent perpetuity without first investigating him or making him a party.

The judge said  that rather than the EFCC freezing the governor’s accounts directly through the third party who did not enjoy any mandate from him, the governor himself ought to have been first investigated.

He described Fayose as “a genuinely deprived person who rushed to the court to seek constitutional protection.”

The judge stated that it was also the duty of any presiding judge to protect the said constitution and its interpretations whenever the need arose.

“The plaintiff is entitled to be heard before his property or money can be seized; doing otherwise will amount to denying him fair hearing and constitutional rights,’’ he said.

The judge, however, refused to grant other reliefs sought by the governor, including a perpetual injunction restraining EFCC or its agents from further tampering with his property.

The judge also refused to grant another relief asking for payment of N5billion as exemplary damages.

The judge said: “This court will not shield any person from due investigation

“Since the police cannot be stopped from investigating a crime, same goes for the first respondent so as not to whittle down its functions.’’

EFCC lead counsel, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo, was absent in court while Fayose’s counsel said the judgment would checkmate the agency against “brazen arbitrariness and excesses.’’

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous How NNPC, NPDC stole $5billion in three years – Senate
Next We paid Dokpesi N2.1 billion for doing nothing – Witness

Related Stories

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.