Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Breaking News
  • Dismiss suit compelling me to produce Kanu, Buratai urges court
  • Breaking News

Dismiss suit compelling me to produce Kanu, Buratai urges court

Admin November 17, 2017

November 17, 2017

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has asked the Federal High Court, Abuja to dismiss a suit, seeking to compel him to produce the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

Kanu’s lawyer, Mr Ifeanyi Ejiofor on Thursday brought an application before the court, praying court to order Buratai to produce Kanu dead or alive.

Ejiofor told court that his client was last seen with the Nigerian Army on Sept. 14 and that neither he (Ejiofor) nor Kanu’s family had seen or heard from Kanu since then.

Opposing the motion, however, Buratai through his counsel, Mr Akinlolu Kehinde, told court that Kanu was not and had never been in the custody of the Nigerian Army.

“The Nigerian Army did not at any time arrest or take Kanu into its custody within the period the military operation lasted in the South-East.”

The lawyer argued that there was no document before the court to prove that Kanu was in the custody of the army, noting that the onus was on Kanu to prove that he was taken by the army.

Kehinde urged the court to dismiss the application on the ground that it was laden with speculations, conjecture and assumptions which, he said were not admissible in law.

A counter-affidavit deposed to by Col. A.A. Yusuf also claimed that the alleged invasion of Kanu’s house during the period of the operation was false.

After hearing arguments from both counsel, Justice Binta Nyako adjourned the matter until Dec. 13 to give her ruling.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous AU, UN envoys assess security in Somalia ahead of troops exit
Next President Buhari commiserates with Iranians, Iraqis over devastating earthquake

Related Stories

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes

August 16, 2026
BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke

August 6, 2026
FCTA confirms 8 rabies cases, 2 deaths, issues alert
  • Breaking News

FCTA confirms 8 rabies cases, 2 deaths, issues alert

July 15, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides
  • Politics

NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.