Skip to content
August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Danbatta sure of 30 percent broadband penetration by 2018
  • National News

Danbatta sure of 30 percent broadband penetration by 2018

Admin April 11, 2016

danbatta 2The Executive Vice Chairman, EVC, of the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, Prof. Umar Danbatta has once again reiterated the commission’s readiness to actualising the 30 per cent broadband penetration target by 2018, following the proposed licensing of the 2.6GHz in May and the licensing of five other infraCos in the course of the year.

Speaking at the special reception in honour of the Minister of Communications, Barrister Adebayo Shittu, organized by the Association of Telecom Companies of Nigeria, ATCON, the EVC said that although there are still challenges today with regard to the networks, “but it’s still work in progress. We are also aware that internet speed is not where it should be today, that is why we are determined to implement the national broadband policy which envisages 30 per cent penetration by 2018”.

It would also be recalled that earlier this year, the commission licensed two infraCos and one of them which was licensed to Bitflux, the commission said, will soon begin to rollout services even as it is in the process of licensing the 2.7GHz spectrum where there are 14 slots for interested bidders. All these EVC said will give room for ubiquitous broadband penetration across the country.

Danbatta who was represented by the Director, Public Affairs of the Commission, Tony Ojobo added that “broadband availability, accessibility and affordability are very pertinent as it presents the biggest frontier for economic growth. With the rollout of the commission’s 8 point agenda, this is supposed to also help us actualize broadband penetration which is why a substantial portion has been dedicated to broadband, as a major ground upon which some others will stand”, he said.

He gave assurance that the commission is working hand in hand with the various government agencies and government at all levels with regard to impediments that may hamper growth in the ICT sector thus affecting the achievement of the 2018, 30 per cent broadband penetration. “Assurance from the IGP is that instances where base stations are closed without authorization from the courts will be a thing of the past”.

The EVC however also added that there’s the urgency by the commission to see the actualization of pervasive broadband, even on less than 10 per cent penetration as of today, various bottlenecks and expectations to achieve 30 per cent broadband penetration by 2018, which is just 3 years away.

He therefore urged ATCON to see that operators strive for greater discipline and respect for rules and regulations at all times and that the regulators’ guidelines and directives are complied with. “We believe we’ll begin to see some regulations in the industry, where the operators themselves see that those who step out of the line are sanction,” he said.

Author: Theresa Igata

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Securitymen take Over NFF Secretariat as Pinnick, Green Feud Deepens
Next Oliseh Appointed into FIFA Technical Department

Related Stories

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister
  • National News

2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides
  • National News

Aiyedatiwa appoints commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides

August 20, 2026
12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports greater efficiency
  • Business & Economy

12 ships laden with petroleum products, various commodities arrive Lagos ports

August 20, 2026
Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns Microsoft
  • Business & Economy

Africa Risks Becoming Mere AI Consumer Without Trusted Ecosystems – Microsoft Warns

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty
  • National News

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.