Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Covid-19: Stop the debate, accept the result; NCDC boss tells Akwa Ibom Govt
  • National News

Covid-19: Stop the debate, accept the result; NCDC boss tells Akwa Ibom Govt

Admin April 2, 2020
Akwa Ibom State University

Udom Emmanuel, Gov Akwa Ibom State

The Director General of the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, has countered the claim of  Akwa Ibom State Government denying the existence of five cases of COVID-19 in the state.

Five cases were reported in Akwa Ibom in one day but the state’s Commissioner for Health, Dr Dominic Ukpong, said that the five reported positive cases have been contacted but have shown no symptoms of COVID-19, adding that the testing that produced the said result did not follow due process.

According to him, the Director General of Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) was not aware of the reported result which was announced.

He added that the testing process was breached, as the procedure for releasing the results was not duly followed, stressing that the test should be repeated.

But at the daily briefing on Thursday, NCDC boss said there was no need to doubt the veracity of the cases as the tests were done at Irua General Hospital, one of the best health facilities in the country and by very competent hands too. “I have faith in the tests,” he said.

The commissioner explained that the sample batches which were previously sent for testing by the Akwa Ibom State government came back negative.

Ukpong said that the Coronavirus cases came from the team of American doctors who recently carried out a medical outreach in Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government Area of the state.

He added that the contact tracing of patients and all those that came in contact with the doctors was ongoing.

“We observed a disturbing breach in the test and reporting procedure. Akwa Ibom State Government only heard about the test results in the news.

“The Director General of Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) was not aware of the reported result announcement.

“All five reported positive test cases have been contacted and they have showed no COVID-19 symptoms.

“While the tests were being processed in NCDC approved test facilities, all suspected cases were held in isolation.

“Several sample batches have been previously sent for testing from Akwa Ibom State and they all returned negative results.

“Owing to the irregularities observed in the testing and reporting procedure, Health Care Professionals in Akwa Ibom State have called for an immediate reconfirmation test on the five reported cases,” Ukpong said.

Ukpong said the five cases were currently at the Ibom Multi-Specialist hospital and not showing any symptoms of COVID-19.

The commissioner called on Akwa Ibom residents to remain calm and observe the personal and

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Akwa Ibom Covid-19 Dominic Ukpong Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu NCDC

Post navigation

Previous COVID-19 lock down: Buhari orders finance ministry to pay salaries, protect the poor, vulnerable
Next COVID-19: 11 Patients discharged in Lagos – Sanwo-Olu

Related Stories

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides
  • Politics

NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.